TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seriously been thinking about doing this. I want to find an 89-93 SC with a bad or no engine and drop in the drivetrain from a 93-94 Lincoln Mark VIII, including transmission. I can pick up a rebuildable engine from my local u pull it, complete with all accessories for $199.00. I can also get the engine wiring harness, EEC and trans.

Any thoughts on this swap

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
This topic gets brought up what seems like once a week. Do a search. Many have done it so there is plenty of info out there.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Grow Up

C'mon guys, quit messin' with this guy. He had a legitimate question. Everybody knows the exhaust bearings are different and cause problems on this swap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow!! I really do appreciate the sarcasm from everyone!! How stupid of me to ask such a question in a technical forum!

Just a little of my history with MN12's...I have had several SC's in the past, along with an 92LX Tbird. I have swapped in a 5.0HO (keeping the EFI) from a 93 5.0 tbird into a 90 SC 35th anniversary and that seemed to be a fairly straight forward swap. However, I ask for the opinions of those who have done a DOHC swap into a MN12 bird because 1) I have about a handful of experience with the modular engines. I have had a 97 Mustang GT, but never had to touch the engine. 2) I am not afraid of the electronics, rewiring, changing pin-outs, etc, I just want to know what parts make for a good foundation for the swap? As far as I know, the Mk8's are based off the same chassis as the 89-97 Tbird, or at least very similiar. I would like to know if items like the exhaust manifold from the MK8 will fit and work, will my exhaust bolt up, you know the little things that you come across during a swap, will they work. any help would be appreciated. I will also start searching the site as well, but any help you can give me along the way would be great?!

thanks

Phil

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
lol. You guys and your crazyness. The DOHC swap is very popular. I have no experiance personally with the swap but it seems as about straight forward as a PI swap. Obviously there are differances. Keep in mind you will also need the mark8 ECU. Grab the harness,and when you pull the motor grab the mark8 torque converter.

A simple search will bring up all the info you need for the swap. Good luck to you.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Switching to the 4V has a very high price tag for any future MODS that you may want/need.

At this time my Tbird is faster than the stock Mark VIII that has more HP!!

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Search is truly your friend.[/QMUOTE]

Yeah I thought I read u need the ecu. I even said I didnt have much experiance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
C'mon guys, quit messin' with this guy. He had a legitimate question. Everybody knows the exhaust bearings are different and cause problems on this swap.
:facepalm:The exhaust bearings are not different, you just have to use a press to put them in.:zbash:

·
Banned
998 Posts
Good one :uppoint:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Switching to the 4V has a very high price tag for any future MODS that you may want/need.

At this time my Tbird is faster than the stock Mark VIII that has more HP!!
I agree, future mods can be expensive, but the core, the long block is pretty solid to start with. I think the 4.6's in general, whether it be SOHC or DOHC can be quite pricey. I just want to build a solid bottom end and throw on an M112 SC for a power adder.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I have a Mark 8 powered Tbird .. running the stock EEC. More than one way to go about doing the swap of course, depending on how much access you have to donor parts and how much re-wiring youre willing to put up with or how much money you have to spend. I started with a wrecked Mark as a donor. ;)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I agree, future mods can be expensive, but the core, the long block is pretty solid to start with. I think the 4.6's in general, whether it be SOHC or DOHC can be quite pricey. I just want to build a solid bottom end and throw on an M112 SC for a power adder.
you can put a M112 svo on a 2v

1 - 20 of 43 Posts