TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I assume you're talking about the Ford Probe.

I had a 93. Nice little car, ran good, got good gas mileage. The quality control on the interiors isn't as good as on T-birds however. loose plastic etc.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would think that with 100k you should be able to get it for less than 1500

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I had a '95 SE. Handled like a race car, the suspension is tight, so the ride is rough on any road not perfectly smooth. It had power everything. The drive trains (motor, transaxle) are Mazda units. Only the GT had the V6, and it is quick. The four banger is "adequite" at best. There was a problem with a few models with the automatic. When mine went, it was gonna cost me 2,300-2,600 for a rebuild. So I got rid of it. Overall,they are nice, but not for a daily commuter, unless you can take a daily jarring.

·
Registered
488 Posts
No never owned a prob. But I married one at one time.LOL
My brother-in-law had one.He got ripped,It was beat to HE** and back.Any obvious signs of abuse?If not I would say go for it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
amazingly enough, the V6 second gen probes were faster then the turbo'd ones first gen. The first gen turbo probes were quick though. They used a Mitsubishi Turbo Charger. The second gen probes can be turbo'd or supercharged. I've seen the Supercoupe Supercharger on a Probe GT so it can be done

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
we had a '91 GT a loooooong time ago. That thing was quick.

I was probably like 10 years old when we had it, so i only remember that it was fast, and the time we got stuck in the rain when the sunroof was out.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Let me post a quote from Randy over on Modular Depot

stay far, far away from the Probe. not only are parts becoming obsolete but the ones that are still aval are things like: $1000.00 power seat tracks, $900.00 distributor, $500.00 IAC's, $360.00 O2's sensors....... shall I go continue

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
aceospades said:
Thinking of getting a 95 prob w/4 banger , sunnroof , auto and 100k on the clock anyone know about these things? have any advice? they want 1500.00 for it.
That's about $1600 too much. ;)

Don't do it ... some advice from a Ford parts guy.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I've got a pair of oscilliscope probes, just got them today. :D

But seriously, if it's possible. I've got a friend that has a pair, a 90 and a 93-94 his daughter drives. His 90 has over 220k on it, and still running, 5-speed. I've driven it a couple times. If I could get it cheap I would. Fun little car for a second car. I'd have it given a once-over before you buy it. Take it to a mechanic, have them look it over. If you spend $50 for that, that's cheaper than a $1500 mistake and the other related expenses. I'd do a CarFax check on it, too. After my parents got a Contour and I bought it from them, I found out it had hit a deer. I had over $3000 in fixing problems with it. Parents kept taking it to a shop, which was a bad decision too. Found out it had hit a deer at O'Reilly's when someone said the welds on the front weren't supposed to be there. So just have it given a once-over and CarFaxed. If there are any problems, I'd offer less for it, or not buy it. Basic rules for any vehicle you buy. I didn't have it done with my Bronco, but the guy worked at a bank and takes good care of his vehicles. He named everything off he could, and I felt confident in buying from him. Had no problems with it that he would've known about. Only had the heater core replaced and basic maintenance done by me and my brother in the automotive shop. I wouldn't buy it if you don't feel confident with their vehicle knowledge and history of them having the vehicle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
they arent bad, i had a 96 i believe it was.....
very small cars but mine was a GT and it hauled ***.
the tranny went out so i thrashed the thing muahahaha, poor car lol wish u guys could see it when we towed it to the junk yard, it was freekin hilarious!!!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
heed timb and ed's and mine's warning , DO NOT BUY THIS CAR . after years of working in dealers and seeing/working on these pos cars run like h.ell!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts