TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bird out of storage last week because I stopped by it to check something, and found that it wasn't in the conditions I had agreed upon. Birds had gotten into the barn, there was hole in the roof, and the door was left unlocked and open to the barn I had it in. I got my $$$ back, but I'm still pissed.

Anyway, I need info on a "car tent" or something like it. I'd like to get it ASAP as my area is going to be getting alot of snow in the next few weeks (if it's anything like the past few years). I've looked on-line but all the companies I've contacted don't even know what they are selling.

Can someone point me in the right direction? or better yet, anyone willing to sell thier's?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'd be careful, I'm not sure how much snow you get around your neck of the woods... but if it's worse than Buffalo (and probably is) it "probably" won't hold up. Tom from SCCoA had his car in one last winter and I guess it fell down from the weight of the snow... he just purchaced a better one so maybe he will have better luck this year. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, bro

-Steve :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you mean,the canopy type?I bought one last year at Lowes(home-depot)Its got a canvas top,and 8-legs.I bought it to protect a Roadrunner I was restoring,and we get a fair amount of hail.
The only thing I did,was to buy 8 small cinder blocks,put posts in there and filled with cement.That keeps it from ''''flying away''''.It has held up good so far,and did the job I wanted.
Think I gave $125 for it.BUT...we dont get snow like a lot of places,so you would really want to make sure the tarp was thick.
Oh it measured 24x12...stands about 8 ft high.
Jerry

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Greenbird,

Ensuring that the tent is secured to the ground is good advice, but you also need one that has the ability to support a fair amount of weight. Wet snow can weigh quite a bit, so you want one with many upright supports. Otherwise you may have it crashing in on your car.

TurboCat,

Tents are better because they keep the weather conditions off of the car completely. They are like a temporary garage. A car cover gets covered with snow and when it melts the water goes directly on to your car. Mold can start to grow on your car if under a cover long enough.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
get a bubble,

a outside car cover would work, its made to keep the water/snow crap off the car, its made to work like that.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aaron_T said:
Yeah, they want $160 here for it. I friends' dad has one setup all year round, and it has never collapsed or caved in here. It all depends on how it is secured to the ground.
Here= Where? The cheapest I've found costs $300.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dont you have a Home Depot or Lowes there? Maybe they call them Builders square......anyway check with the big mega box stores.Maybe wally world?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
GreenBird said:

Here= Where? The cheapest I've found costs $300.
Lowes here has them. If you either don't have a Lowes, or they don't care
"carport" then you should be able to order on off the net, or call a store. The don't come with sides, so you will have to a/some tarps, but it ain't that bad of price. Someone sells some on Ebay that have all sides and everything. The front even zips up. Those normally go for about $200-250, depending on the bids.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts