TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is off topic for this forum, but i have a 85 honda accord that had bad rod bearings and was knocking really bad. i changed them out and noticed the rods and crank have some grooves on them. i decided to procede anyways because to get the pan off is really easy and sure enough it still knocks. now would it be cheaper to get the crank reworked at a machine shop or just buy new rods and crank..

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Depends on who you have doing the work. If you're doing the labor part, then I would think it would be cheaper to have the crank turned and stick a set of oversized crank and rod bearings in there. Not sure about how you plan on getting the crank out of the car w/o scoring the journals if the motor is still in place, but I don't know Honda's.

Jay

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont know, im trying to sell the car as is right now, and ive had several people look at the car and they are ready to buy untill i mention the problem. so if its something that i could do cheap, id do it to get some more cash in my pocket. but i would bet that the oversized bearings wouldn't work though if the rods and crank already have grooves in them. what do you think???

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i never changed the crank bearings(mains) when i did the rods, could that be the problem??

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
4.3Lcougar said:
i never changed the crank bearings(mains) when i did the rods, could that be the problem??
thats crazy, that is most likely the problem, its so much less to just do them all and be done, why would you short cut something like that ?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i really didn't think about it untill now. i was so concerned with the rod bearings. that i over looked that. could that most likely be the problem?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
excellent!!! ill let you all know how it goes...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts