TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Technically wouldn't you get better mpg if you leave OD off while driving stop and go under 45mph..like normal everyday city/street driving....? I know that at around 32/35mph overdrive want to kick in and out, so this causes an extra load on the engine-is that correct..?

Do you guys leave OD off except when on the highway..? One thing that's weird is if i'm going 60mph in 3rd (od off) i'll be next to my power band, yet it feels more powerful when i'm in OD...this is when i floor it... Shouldn't it be faster in 3rd when you floor it at 60mph (which is like 2800 rpms i believe)..? It seems like when OD is on, it will downshift to 3rd and the car will lunge forward....

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I use OD the whole time cuz I forget to turn it off... but OD doesn't kick in till like what 40MPH... another thing is that little green light bugs the crap out of me.. I already have to deal with the check engine light... I don't feel like dealin with the OD light AND the check engine light.

·
Registered
871 Posts
FunktasticLucky said:
I don't feel like dealin with the OD light AND the check engine light.
Why is your check engine light on??

·
Registered
280 Posts
i wish my o/d cancel light worked, i always forget if i turned it off or not, the reason i use it soley on the highway becase in the city the transmission used to act up from time to time until it started turning the overdrive off in the city, is there any quick fix for the light

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
well the check engine light is due to a bad purge valve that I don't have the money to fix... I've been trying to locate a used one but they dont' seem to be out there... I guess I'll go post in the wanted forum. I just don't wanna pay 60 dollars for tha tlittle POS when I can go without. It turned off long enough for me to get it inspected a couple months ago so I'm good to go till next september :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I keep mine out of overdrive unless Im above 55. Its easier on the trans and there isnt much of an rpm difference. Plus with 3rd being shorter its easier on components. Once Im at highway speed I put O/D on and set the cruise.

·
Registered
104 Posts
:thumbsup: I only turn off od on a crowded highway with traffic lights... It slows the car quicker and the power is there to pass if needed. Plus it feels rather sporty and sounds healthy cruising around 2 grand or so in 3rd :D :thumbsup:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I leave it off unless I'll be going 50+, slower than that and it ends up hunting between 3rd and OD due to the hilly terrain.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
In the city you wont see any difference in MPG with it on or off. I only use mine on when Im gonna be above 80km/h for a long time, so pretty much highway only. Doesnt having O/D on when its stop and go or hilly create alot of heat in the tranny due to constantly shifting in and out of O/D?

·
Registered
789 Posts
any way to make the switch all on or all off instead of this button? I would like OD to be off when I start the car. Same goes for traction assist.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah i read alot on that, when the tranny keeps on shifting from 3rd/4th/3rd etc it builds up more heat then if it was just in 3rd.

For me, i'd rather let the engine do the work..hell even if you go 70mph w/OD off, it's awesome and sound great. It's much more torque-y because at that speed you're just about at 2800/3000rpms=you powerband.

Also i believe some newer cars automatically switch on overdrive after 50mph...instead of you dealing with being in 4th (band..not gear) at 36mph...?!?!?

Lol, most manual guys will tell you anyway, doing 70-100mph in 3rd gear is the norm...well for mustang/camaro's......NOT 4cyl hondas..lol.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
-oops...forgot to mention the gas gauge goes from /....to \ real fast doing 80mph in 3rd...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts