TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing some research on tire sizes ready for my next change, and wondered if anyone has 205/70's on their car, and if so can you post a pic?

They sound a bit skinny to me, but would be interested to see exactly what they do look like.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The T-Bird on the left in this pic has 205/70's. The T-Bird on the right has 215/70's.

The 205's don't fill the wheel well enough IMO, I would go with the 215's. A little softer ride with more sidewall too.

When these cars were new, the 205's were considered standard, and the 215's a slight upgrade. At least that's the way it looks on the window stickers.

Al

Attachments

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice pair of cars :)

The 205's don't look too bad, although at the moment I've got 225/60's on mine which do look small. I was wondering if the 205's were going to look very narrow from the front/rear.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Thanks! I recently sold the 95.

Both the 215's and 205's look a little narrow, but not too bad. They are what they are, factory tires. I don't mind the look.

I bought my 95 with 215/65's on there, talk about a short tire!

Al

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I know. I ended up with mine as they didn't have the size I originally wanted, the tire fitter recommended that size as a suitable replacement, and I'd gone unprepared without a list of acceptable alternatives. As a consequence, the speedo has registered about 5mph fast for the last 3yrs.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
225/60's must really bulge out! The car will drive much better on "correctly" sized tires for the rims. They are only 6" wide rims.

Al

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are quite bulgy, not too bad though. I just think the o/d looks much too small in the wheelarch.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,318 Posts
225/60's must really bulge out! The car will drive much better on "correctly" sized tires for the rims. They are only 6" wide rims.

Al
225/60/16 is the OE size for the 16" rims found on the SC, later Sports, and the Mark VIIIs - abeit on 7" wide rims, though 1/2" difference in rim size won't make or break the deal with the single-step up in treadwitdh size.

·
The Parts Guy
7,330 Posts

Al
They're 6.5" wide. 235's fit without issue.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is what mine look like but my car body is different than yours:smile2:
I was just looking at these pictures again, and the way your car sits at the back reminded me of the Torino in Starsky and Hutch.

Nice wheels btw :smile2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts