TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I have a `96 With a 4.6 and I`ve noticed the cataletic converter is getting so hot ,you can feel between the center console and the passenger side seat and it is so hot you cant keep your hand there! I assume this means that the cat is clogging up and needs to be changed . Have any of you gutted your cataletic converters? What did it change? I know the exhaust will be louder but I hope not too loud. Also does the engine run better or will it make the computer start acting up?Will my Check engine light start comming on? Please help.

G

·
Check your transmission fluid. Your tranny is closer than your cats and if you can feel heat from your center console its probably because your tranny is overheating.

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
dude...if your tranny is that hot...it's welded itself to the motor and torque converter. It's probably your cats...I run no cats...big screwdriver and hammer and clean out.

But whatever....replace your tranny while your at it (j/k)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I gutted my cats, they didn't have guts long enough for me to know if there was a perfonrmance difference. My cats for the SOHC motor were gutted, I didn't know it until I took the exhaust off because it was that way when I bought it, definitely louder, if you've got flowmasters, gut your cats. I used a pry bar and a hammer, then shake the crap out. I suggest wearing a mask of some sort, you problaby dont want to be breathing some of that crap.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yours has that extra noise that I am just not going to have for a few more years, and no exhaust system is going to have any effect on that sweet, sweet sound. BTW off the subject, springs are working great, thanks a lot, sits a little higher in back, don't notice it in the front, have some pictures but won't have that film developed before the next time you see it.

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
Allright....

I wanna do the gutting, so how did you do it?? Just unhook the manifold bolts and drop them down, then just go at it?? I wanna do this...

Kyle

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
take off downtubes, take out o2 sensors, and go at it with a big drill bit/hammer and big screwdriver/broomstick! make sure you get it all out and when you're done, try and wash some of it out. be warned though, my 94 4.6 threw the MIL, though no driveability will be effected, the light's still on and you wont know if someone else goes wrong. gotta either get your comp burned or get MIL eliminators.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Get a 94 Mark VIII motor and gut those cats :). There aren't any O2 sensors downstream of the cats so it is still happy. I am really just kidding though. Just for the fun of hearing it and to make sure no cat guts were rattling around in my exhaust, I put the cats back on without the exhaust and revved it a couple times just to get all the crap blown out that mya have still been in there. There is quite a bit of insulation stuff. I plan on scanning my exhaust pictures tonight, have a picture of cat guts if you want to see them. Engine pictrues scanned last night but I screwed up the file names and need to rename them, someone graciously offered to help me out with that though.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Picture of the guts

Here is what you are gonna get out of the cat:

The black things are the intestines, the white things fuzzies are hairballs, the segments with the square holes are the throat, the gold sparkly stuff all over is...eh, I give up :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
I was forced to gut the cats on my 94 3.8 (they melted, so engine didn't run), if you do it, you'll notice echoing type of sound where they were (not loud but still there), I fixed this by replacing cats with pipes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I want to gut my third cat (y pipe). I don't want to touch the first two though, because I don't want to set off any codes. Is it possible to gut that cat while it is still on the car? I have removed the resonator, so all I have to do to get to it is remove the pipe that is right behind it. I was thinking of picking at it with a screw driver or coat hanger, and revving the engine to blow out the junk. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions?

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
i tried when it was still on the car and i had a 24" drill bit and i still couldnt hardly do jack to it. it's just too hard to get the right angles when it's on the car. so what i did was just cut the y-pipe off a couple inches behind on each pipe and got the hanger out. it was much easier to gut it then. afterwards, just get a small exhaust connector and clamp it back in place (or weld if you can). the closer you cut the pipes to the y-pipe, the easier it is, but keep in mind, the connectors might not fit if you get too close. but if you can weld, get as close as you can. good luck!

btw-give the engine a couple of revs with the y-pipe off and no exhaust back beyond that point. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
thats probably what I will have to do, thanks for the info. By the way, what did you use to cut the piping?? A hack saw is just too hard!!

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
haha, i used a hacksaw. it's a lot of work but easier if you jack the car up or put it on ramps. my hands got so tired, but it was worth it in the end. plus i dont get a whole lot of exercise so it was probably good for me. wear goggles while you're at it. i bet a sawzaw or however you spell it would work a heck of a lot better. but i dont have one. good luck!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
after gutting the cats, I don't suggest putting them right back on and revving the engine. When you let off, you create a vacuum and will suck some of that contertor material into your engine. Like someone said, you don't want to breathe that stuff, and your engine shouldn't either.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
in case of a misunderstanding, i meant with the freshly gutted cat off. but take a hose to the inside of it and spray any **** that's in there out.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
What does the 4.6L sound like with strait pipes? =)) (Nothing in the exhaust stream.. just a lil pipe.)

·
Registered
444 Posts
before you gut your cats

Gutting your cats is a great idea if you want that John Deere(TM) sound. I spent five dollars gutting my cats and $200 ordering new aftermarket cats after I realized that it made it sound like one of those ***** foreign cars with the big coffee can exhaust tip. If you want a good sound, put in a bullit intake, pi heads, and get some Flowmaster(TM) mufflers so it will be breathing like the mustangs. A new Ford cat system will cost anywhere from $500 -$700 , so, make sure you really want to risk it. Just my opinion, been there and done that, and redone that after i f-ed up. Good Luck w/ whatever you do though.Blaze

·
Registered
148 Posts
sorry i'm a little slow

When gutting the cats, are the cats being taken off.. Or just cleaned out? And the censors must be taken off before the gutting? and then replaced after cleaned out? I'm confused

1 - 20 of 26 Posts