TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trading my car in for a Saab.

Ok, I am not. My buddy is looking at this real nice 1992 Saab 9000 turbo. It has 120K miles. I have heard how saabs actually last for well over 200K miles without major problems.

Everything is clean inside and out including under the hood. The car starts up pretty good. It has leather seats, sunroof, Automatic trans, good sound, etc. The guy is asking 4200. We are thinking of offering 3500 maybe 3800 and seeing where that goes. I must say that the car does look pretty good. It is in overall good condition. I would probably rate it at a 8.5 out of 10.

He isn't looking to really sport it out all that much but does like some power here and there. His current car is a 87 maxima. The maxima needs some body work and exhaust repair so he is just looking at other cars since its just getting pretty old.

Anyone here ever own a Saab? Have friends that have them, how do they like it? Thanks for any opinions,

-Shawn

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Location: The South"

What do you know about snow?

Just kidding. Yeah, up here in Maine every other car is either a Saab or a Volvo. I havent seen this many in my life until I started school here in maine. So I guess they have them here in maine for a reason. I'll keep that in mind about good in snow.

thanks,

-Shawn

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well I'm not from the south originally. Grew up in Pennsylvania. Went through many snowy winters there. Learned to drive in the snow (that is fun!)

Incidentally, my wife is from Maine. We were married there last year. I've been there a couple times and yeah, I did see a lot of Saabs up there. Her family told me they are good in snow.

One other thing I know about Saabs: They had some butt ugly models that came out over the years!

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
My friend has a 199X 9000CS. It's had a few minor problems over the past few years (mostly lighting and wiper problems). Other than that, it's a solid car, loaded, all the options. I love the heated leather seats it has.

·
Registered
659 Posts
on some models the engine oil pan is the transmission case, and they suck to work on.......ALL I KNOW ABOUT SAABS
Mike

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
Another funky thing about them (well, at leat the old 900's) is that the engine is backwards. The belts are at the firewall and the clutch is in front. The transmission is connected to the engine with a drive chain. And the transmission is under the engine. I bet it's a pain to work on. I've heard that in order to replace the alternator, you have to drill a hole in the firewall to get the bolts out.

Gotta remember, that was the old 900's, the 9000 might be different. It might have a more traditional sideways mounted engine and transaxle like most newer FWD cars.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
SAAB: Pronounced sob. As in sob story.

They are fairly reliable, but when they break, you'll wish you could pay ford dealership prices.

I would suggest a Subaru.

·
8,239 Posts
saab is garbage imho. Pretty much anything thats old and turbocharged you stay away from, especially saab. I agree with the subaru thing. My father had one, the thing required virtually no maintenance, and it had over 300k miles when we junked it. The only reason we junked it was because the body was so rotten, the motor was fine.

Shawn you are going to laugh, but that VW Jetta you sold me is a good runner also. Not as reliable as the subaru, but still runs real good.

JH

·
8,239 Posts
if the kid wants basic transportation, a subaru is the way to go. I wouldn't get one without AWD, it comes in handy here up north.

If the kid is looking for something sporty or whatever, than a subaru gl is not the item for him.

JH

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well thanks everyone. My buddy figured he would wait a month until he is back home (we are in school in maine, he lives in NYC) and will get a car at home.

-Shawn

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
round here they are called Scoobys.

JustinH said:
If the kid is looking for something sporty or whatever, than a subaru gl is not the item for him.

JH
However if he can find an SVX.... :xpcool:

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
SAAB = CRAP
(just like Dodge = CRAP)

My vote is for a Subaru...my girlfriend picked up a Red '95 Subaru Impreza 2dr (2.2L AWD) as a college car. Paid something like $4k for it..with only $4x,xxx miles (I dont remember the exact price or mileage off hand...)

It is a very comfortable car, great in all weather, good on gas.... just a great little car. Sounds cool as well, since we took the insanely weird looking air silencer (looks almost like a windshield washer fluid bottle!)

Find one with a manual trans if you can....the auto isn't bad....I'm just not too big on auto + small displacement engine. But, even with the auto, it's not so bad since the 2.2L has decent 'oomph' 2.2L Subaru is the way to go as the 1.8L is a bit underpowered.

...'course, if he wants sporty, the SVX is always fun....or ...if you have a lot of spare time ... take a 2.2L Turbo Legacy engine and plop it down in a 2.2L Impreza chassis (yes, we're thinking about it).

back to the original purpose of this thread... SAAB... SAABs are worthless hunks of garbage. I rode in a 900 or whatever the hell they are....looked like an ugly shoe, and smelled like one to boot.... (it's a pun damnit!)

Don't let him get a SAAB...for the love of GOD! Get a Subie (or Scooby)...

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
JeffTBird93 said:
Yeah, I'd go with the Imprezza. Personally, I like the look of them, and I've heard they've got quite a bit of power. Or maybe the WRX.
If he's looking at a '92 SAAb, I think a WRX is out of his range.....I think he's looking for a 'late model' type car. In that case, it would either be an 'normal' Impreza or a Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (again fairly newer).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts