TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
What size is that tubing?

I just picked up some 1.25" square 14 gauge. The only other option where I went was 1" 11 gauge, which was MUCH heavier and not any stiffer.

Does the rear tie into the isolator bracket with the 2 bolts on the front of the subframe?

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
some beautifull welds. but bolting her in like that isn't as ridgid as welding her in. but if welded in, looks like you'll never get the gas tank out. my sudgestion- if i were to do it on my coug, i'd go fuel cell and weld those puppies in. those look awesome by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
some beautifull welds. but bolting her in like that isn't as ridgid as welding her in. but if welded in, looks like you'll never get the gas tank out. my sudgestion- if i were to do it on my coug, i'd go fuel cell and weld those puppies in. those look awesome by the way.
It's not a Pro-Mod class car... it's a 3850 pound Lincoln with a naturally aspirated 4.6L DOHC! I doubt even with a big shot of nitrous I need to be welding brace-work in place. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
What gauge and diameter is the tubing? That's the cleanest, simplest setup I've seen. Plus it would match my front subframe connectors.

My subframe IS moving forward on launches. The tranny yoke tells me so.

Awesome job. Mind if I copy?:D

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
does anyone make them to buy or is it one of those do it yourself things? i would really like to have a pair.
It's a custom DIY.

What gauge and diameter is the tubing? That's the cleanest, simplest setup I've seen. Plus it would match my front subframe connectors.
I think it's 4130 Chrome Moly 1-3/4" diameter - 0.065" wall. Same stuff the hot-rod shop makes cages from.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
tubular braces arent ideal for rigidity as you can see in the first pic that the brace is already bowed. The square tubing is more idle in that it IS completely rigid...Now, I know what you are saying, they use Chromoly tubing to build drag cars, but they are also designed to flex with the car. Flex is something you want to ELIMINATE in your street car application.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
SC V8 Bird;1008263= said:
It's a great idea but I've never seen anyone producing them.
I did at one time, but getting people that want them, and wanted to spend money seemed to be the issue.
JL

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
tubular braces arent ideal for rigidity as you can see in the first pic that the brace is already bowed. The square tubing is more idle in that it IS completely rigid...Now, I know what you are saying, they use Chromoly tubing to build drag cars, but they are also designed to flex with the car. Flex is something you want to ELIMINATE in your street car application.
If you're talking about my pic(s), just for clarification, the 'bow' was on purpose to align it with the subframe mount, else there would've been a huge spacer required to connect it at the rear with the rest of it parallel with the underbody subframe.

You can get Chromoly square/rectangular tubing as well. But again, it's not a Pro-Mod class car... it's a street car with a naturally aspirated 4.6L DOHC.

It will do what I want...

for now. :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts