TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the air silencer, wondering if it's likely to royaly skrew myself by driving through a puddle. It's a long way from the ground, but seems possible.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
not very likely. unless you do some intake work and you make a scoop down lower you might have some trouble. it shouldnt be a big deal

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I had the filter get wet once, but I went through a puddle at 75mph on the parkway.
It didn't effect the performance or make it past the filter, but the puddle slowed me from 75 to 30 in a second. I never saw it coming.

·
Banned
377 Posts
you shouldnt have any problems at all after the air silencer delete...you would have to literatly try to hydrolock your vehicle to come even close.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's definitely possible to 'royally skrew' oneself driving through a deep water puddle. I just recovered from blasting the rods out both sides of the block of my 2000 GT Mustang motor that was in my '95 Bird by driving through deep water(which was difficult to see on a dark flooded night). I had recently deleted the air silencer, which may or may not have contributed to the disaster. I replaced the engine with a 2003 GT Mustang motor, and all is back to normal, except that now I watch out more carefully for water.
By the way, insurance only covered about half the cost. grrrr

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes it is possible, that is part of the reason it is there. I have replaced engines in cars that have sucked water with the silencer still installed.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I made a small deflector out of aluminum when I deleted mine. It was a curved piece of sheetmetal that fit around the bottom of the inlet, and would deflect water coming at it from the front or underneath around the tube instead of into it.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Not going to happen. removing the silencer actually decreases the chances of sucking up water. you'd have to get water above the tires to lock the engine.

ram air is effectively worthless, so as long as your drawing air from the fender area, your getting all the power and no risk of sucking in water.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
If your real worried about it Get this, that is what I eventually might get considering my air filter is where the air silencer used to be.

Hey I was just looking at that part, it doesn't look very sturdy at all. also, in the instructions it says not to mount it anywhere between the MAF and throttle body (of course, due to unmetered air) so that leaves the short piece of pipe down into your fenderwell to mount this in. Which just doesn't seem effective to me. Just my $.02 though, if you like it then get it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
[img http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?bg=666699&image=http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2413000-2413999/2413788_23_full.jpg img]

On the pic you can see how I took both fog lights out. On the left you can see the aluminum shield I built, I can easily reach in and move the shield down to cover the whole incase it starts raining, although my car rarley sees the ran.

On the other side you can see my oil filter relocation and I have an oil cooler mounted behind that also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts