TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just searching through ebay today and found this BIG *** WOOFER . Its a 32 inch subwoofer. Is there any advantages with a subwoofer that big? It would come close to killing the driver at max output. This is the largest subwoofer I have seen for sale, has anyone seen bigger?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Holy crap!! That thing probably runs at like 2500watts rms!

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's worthless. You could do better with 2 12's, not to mention the enclosure it would take.

·
Banned
154 Posts
They are concert speakers, if you've ever been to one you'll know how loud they can get, and the size of the enclosure.

·
Registered
933 Posts
actually it's a 34 inch, they got one of them thar three towns over
they've run 4000 watts into it and it barely broke a sweat

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Clarion offered a 32" woofer as part of their car audio subwoofer line about two years ago. I'm not sure if they still do...

Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
man those subs are the biggest jokes... audiobahn and clarion never posted any parameters for the sub and technically to even get the cone to move would need a trmendous motor structure with neither of those subs have, and to make those subs reproduce normal bass frequencies 20- 100 hz they would need thousands of watts jsut to move quickly enough. at a local Sound Advice the really smart isntallers managed to blow one of the Clarions with 500 watts???? bridbaths is right

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Just as an FYI, Richard Clark and David Navone (two of the BIGGEST names in car audio BTW) built a 60" sub in a van not too long ago. It's resonant frequency was down around 10hz. It was just plain obscene how huge it was. Talk about cone envy!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yup

NO, no smart *** at all...I was completely wrong. You're right. I realized it after I posted and didn't have time to correct myself. I was thinking 20,000hz....and accidently put 20,000mhz. Which should have been 20mhz and I was even wrong there because it's khz....I messed up all together!!! LOL I had the right idea!!

Thanks for the correction :D

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I'm too old for this s**t, but given the size to the tbird trunk, I would love to see and hear the result of a double reflex cabinet made of plexiglass. If someone wants a basic drawing to work from to build one of these, let me know. Plexiglass would need to be reinforced with plywood.

PM me if you want info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts