TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This could just be a fluke, but I have heard a few reports of the JMod adversly affecting the 3-4 shift. I believe the trans in question was a 94 4R70W on a 3.8L V6. The complaint is that the 3-4 shift flares, and he has to let off of the gas for about 3 seconds for it to catch. In other words, it free-revs for about 3 seconds before the OD band kicks in. He claims a mild setting on the Mod.

Has anyone alse experienced these problems (other than those who didn't get their OD band properly attached)? Or is this just a worn out tranny that was modded?

If this is a reoccuring problem, I want to avoid modding my freshly rebuilt to the point that this occurs - probably altering the holes sizes to minimize this behavior.

If so, what OD piston do you have?
What settings did you mod your plate to?

Anyone?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
GregFL said:
This could just be a fluke, but I have heard a few reports of the JMod adversly affecting the 3-4 shift. I believe the trans in question was a 94 4R70W on a 3.8L V6. The complaint is that the 3-4 shift flares, and he has to let off of the gas for about 3 seconds for it to catch. In other words, it free-revs for about 3 seconds before the OD band kicks in. He claims a mild setting on the Mod.

Has anyone alse experienced these problems (other than those who didn't get their OD band properly attached)? Or is this just a worn out tranny that was modded?

If this is a reoccuring problem, I want to avoid modding my freshly rebuilt to the point that this occurs - probably altering the holes sizes to minimize this behavior.

If so, what OD piston do you have?
What settings did you mod your plate to?

Anyone?
There's a section in the artilce that explains in detail what is needed to keep this from happening.I don't remmeber what page..and I'm too tired to go look it up right now..but it is in there.I think it's the wave plate...
JL

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've seen the text to which you refer to. It involves replacing the stock FWD clutch wave plate with one from a 5.4L truck tranny. I believe this is to reduce slippage on high HP applications on 4-2 and 4-3 downshifts, where the clutch slips upon application.

The complaints I refer to involve a slightly different scenario, although I have not personally seen it. It is a several second delay from the release of the clutch to the application of the OD band on 3-4 upshifts. This is more likely related to the high tension 3-4 capacity valve spring in the older valve bodies, although it could be a case of worn out parts.

Just checking if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I've j-modded a 6/93 built aode, a 10/94 4r70w, and a 98 model 4r70w and never had the problem in any of the trannies... Of course it's unknown what the person did without being there, but IMO either something was wrong in the VB or the OD band isnt going to live long.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silver95Bird said:
Of course it's unknown what the person did without being there, but IMO either something was wrong in the VB or the OD band isnt going to live long.
That is what I was thinking as well, just wanted to get some input from others who had performed this mod themselves. It would be a simple matter to tighten up the overlap between 3-4 if it was an actual problem.

Thanks for the input,
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts