TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read in article in MM&FF and was wondering about the gains on T-Birds with Comp Cams instead of the usual PI cams. Also, was tone A LOT more different than PI cams?

Just curious!

John

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
There are good gains to be had with aftermarket cams. Personally I'm wary of Comp Cams after all the stories I've read about incorrect base circles and improper advance...but many people have good luck with them. You need to follow proper procedure when installing them to avoid problems.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have had really good results... well over 25 hp and better curves, but my original cams were experimental, and not worth do-do... the only rub was that one journal was tight and hadda be wiped (honed )to free up rotation, and yes, we put all the caps on the right journals the right way, so it was the cam, but a little correction and all's well....

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
25 RWHP I am assuming of course.

Any tone differences from PI? I know PI gives us the Mustang blub blub blub, so what does Comp Cams give?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
There is noticable idle in the form of a lope thats not unplesant, and tells anyone around my car that there aint stock cams in there...., and yes RWHP....

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
:wavey: :wavey:
I use them.
:D :D
JL

·
Registered
921 Posts
In all honesty, I think the times JL has produced with the numbers his engine puts out are very impressive. Skill of the driver and all. But I've been known to be wrong quite often...

·
3,232 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:

:eek: So that's what makes ya so fast:uppoint:

GEtting mine next month:D
The car went 12's with stock cams ....
It should be a bit quicker with these.
JL

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Johnny Langton said:

JL
Damn... 12s on a 96/98 GT engine.. What would the Mach 1 guys say eh? Probably a lot of this ----> :bawling:

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I used them too.

Notice the past tense... I passed them on to someone who is putting them to good use now.

I will first address the QC "issues." Compcams had quite a few cam circle and journal issues last summer. They addressed those issues and for the most part are resolved. I bought mine last summer in the height of the controversy and spoke at length with Compcams about it and they explained what the problems were and what steps they took. I was satisfied. I had mine custom ground, so they did not come off-the-shelf. Mine were delayed two days because when they QC'd them, one was out of spec and they had to grind a new one. What I did was mic the base circles and journals and compare them to the PI cams I took out, and they were all right on, or within .003. I'm not sure when Leland purchased his, before or after Compcams addressed the promblem, but I think it was after, so it's still a good idea to check them before installation.

As far as "improper advance," the 270's (.55 lift for PI application only) are ground with a 5 degree advance. If they are bolted in without being properly degreed to accomodate the advance there can be VTP clearance issues. The solution is to properly install them, or have them ground without the 5 degree advance, if you choose to use the 270 grind cams.

For NPI application, you will want the 268 grinds anyway and there are no advance or PTV issues with those grinds. That's what I had, what JL has, what Hans Solo has, and probably what Leland has, but I don't know for sure.

OK.. about performance. Jerry tuned me to 223rwhp with the PI cams in August. In November he tuned me to 245rwhp. The only difference was the Compcams swapped in place of the PI's. The November tune was kept very conservative because of concerns about my 130K+mi bottom end. I would say that in a PNP NPI application the 268 grinds are probably worth at least 25-30 or so rwhp. Possibly a bit less in stock heads, but certainly worth the money...

Ask anyone that was at SSHS 3 what my car sounded like. Let's just say that heads turned and the words "got cams?" were heard often. The engine loped at idle and sang in the mid - high rpms.

-mike

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Johnny Langton said:
JL
If weather permits, we should know shortly... good luck, by the way...

-mike

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Yeah...I should have elaborated a bit more in my earlier post in this thread. There have been stellar numbers and performances from Comp Cams, and I really wasn't trying to scare anyone away from them due to past issues, just thought I'd mention that. What I didn't mention is that Comp has, from everything that I've seen, been outstanding as far as correcting it's problems.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Just remember to get the beehive valve springs that go with them and youll feel a lot better about hi RPMs, and yes I've got the 268 grinds.....
jake

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Leland Jacobson said:
Just remember to get the beehive valve springs that go with them and youll feel a lot better about hi RPMs, and yes I've got the 268 grinds.....
jake
Are the springs that much of an improvement over stock? I read the ad on them about superclean technology or something of the sort, not to mention lighterweight. That much of a difference?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:

Are the springs that much of an improvement over stock? I read the ad on them about superclean technology or something of the sort, not to mention lighterweight. That much of a difference?
As Leland alluded to it is a "safety" issue for higher RPMs.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You do NOT want to break a valve spring:

-mike

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
They said most of the spiel....., also tho', the design is such that they prevent high RPM "bounce" on the seats, and will take you to higher rpms without the float that you get with stock springs...This means more power at higher rpms.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Leland Jacobson said:
They said most of the spiel....., also tho', the design is such that they prevent high RPM "bounce" on the seats, and will take you to higher rpms without the float that you get with stock springs...This means more power at higher rpms.
Awesome! Well if I ever decided to mod the car that far, I will get Comp Cams/springs, because I don't want PIs I think.

·
3,232 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:

because I don't want PIs I think.
Any particular reason not to get PI's?
JL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts