TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be a long shot but I thought I'd ask. Are there any members in the NC area that might be near the NC Transport Museum or near Roanoke, VA?

Reason I ask is one of my passions is steam locomotives. The last of the J-class steamers N&W 611 has been restored and put back into service and is scheduled to be arriving back to her home in Roanoke on Sat. May 30th between 2-4pm.

If anyone would be willing to try and get some good video or even still pics of this iconic locomotive returning to her home under her own power I'd be willing to pay for it. I have been trying to get time off of work and the money together to get out there to see it for myself but of course life has dictated otherwise and I have to watch from afar :mad:

If anyone can help me out please send me a PM and we can go from there. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
That's so cool. I'd like to see that too.

Tim Groth is in Roanoke. I posted your request at SCCoA to broaden the number of members that might be able to assist.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Thanks TM. Appreciate the extended search. Didn't even think about posting over on SCCoA. I did get a PM from a member here that will be up that way this coming Sat. that said he may be able to sneak by the museum in NC. Now I'm just hoping to catch some video of her somewhere along her trip back to Roanoke.

I'm trying to find out what line(s) N&W are going to use so I can give a better location/time that it may be running by but so far that info seems to be hard to find. I'm thinking they are going to retrace one of the old routes that they used when it was pulling passengers.

Here is some additional info I found that may help.

The 220-mile, one-way May 30 trip will see the powerful Class J stride along the former Southern Railway main line and enter home rails at Lynchburg. There, the engine will retrace its regular service route when it pulled N&W’s named passenger trains across the fabled Blue Ridge grade. The locomotive is expected to arrive between 2 and 4 p.m., stopping at the O. Winston Link Museum in the former N&W passenger station in downtown Roanoke. The engine is expected to run with no diesel helpers.

The train will be for invited guests and VIPs and no tickets will be sold. The celebration at the depot will be free and open to the public and additional events will be announced for that weekend, Virginia Museum of Transportation officials say. May 30 is significant because it is 65 years and one day after the engine entered service, and one year after its appearance at the Streamliners at Spencer festival, kicking off the restoration at the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer.

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Tim Groth in Roanoake said he would be willing to help. I'm going to PM you his email address.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Certainly will. I'm in talks with another member to try and get some good footage. Don't want to miss out on this one. Now the challenge becomes saving up for a vacation to VA for an excursion ride :D

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
The steam engine was on the news, Thought that you might enjoy this .:usa:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gnTthoh0KOA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Ah, it's that one! I saw it in Roanoke when I was a kid back in the early 80's.

Its an amazing, beautiful, HUGE, etc. etc. locomotive. I can see why you're so interested in seeing it.

Awesome video Darren! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Darren! Yep, that's the one I'm after. Looks like she's hauling the extended range tender in that video as well. Looks just like the Lionel setup I run, just a tiny bit bigger :D Love that baritone steamboat whistle. Good to see she's running nice and smooth again.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tim was able to take time out on Saturday to get some video/pics of 611 coming home. I don't have all of them just yet, but here is a link to the video that he posted on youtube. Not bad looking for a 65 year old locomotive ;)

https://youtu.be/MWyVYSYl5Ms

Once I have all the files I'll put up a post in the pics/video forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts