TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has installed the B&M Hammer shifter for the Mustang console into a T-Bird? If so, what mods must be done or are there extra parts/pieces that are needed to make it work correctly. Any info would be appreciated...Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I've helped install one in a fox body stang before... I had a major issue with the switches and cam plate. Basically the cam plate didn't have bumps big enough to be able to switch one switch w/o switching them both. I had to take the plate off and use a punch to pound out the cams to a height so that it would work half decent. Pretty sad when you realize how expensive they are. Just thought I'd let you know in case you have the same problem.

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Check with dugweed, i believe he has a B&M Hammer

I have one too, but i have a 94-95 Mustang Shifter in a Fox Cat w/4r70w (yeah, quite strange)

·
Registered
659 Posts
the shifter for 94-95 mustangs w AOD trannies will not work easily, I tried it.
I used a universal B&M hammer shifter and it went in fairly easily, some minor modifications had to be made to the shifter mounting cup to allow correct placement of the shifter in the upper console lid, and some minor clearancing of the lid itself to faciltiate the upper console plate of the shifter to look good.

here are some pictures of my shifter install:

pm or email me if you have any questions or need any advice on how i did this.

Mike

PS you WILL have to use the special B&M AOD shift lever for the trans to get the shifter operate correctly

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that looks pretty cool. I was thinking about the universal one maybe being easier to install, but thought the mustang one would be a closer fit. I know B&M says it can't be done because I called their tech line and they said the Mustang console one would NOT fit a t-bird.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One thing to consider is that the universal Hammer works like a regular shifter from park to drive, then you can ratchat from there. Where as the console Hammer is a full rachet from park to first, and first to park. I've had both, and I like the universal one better. Hope this helps.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts