TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Not 100% sure, but from the ride height up front Id say 2WD.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Thats a 2 wheel drive for sure.You can tell jsut by the way it is sitting and the crappy little wheels.

·
2,530 Posts
Lol, my 93 had those wheels also and its a 2 wheel drive.I put some 15" Explorer tear drop rims on it now.I just have to swap out the rear hangers now to get rid of that raked look.I hate that.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Jack up the front :)

·
2,530 Posts
Blue LS said:
Jack up the front :)

Lol, I am from PA, I have yet to drink the water down here in FL to convert me to the redneck status.If it were a 4x4 I could see a little lift but its a 2 wheel drive so I dont see the reasoning in putting a lift on it.That just looks gay having a 2 wheel drive truck all in the air.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm Im going to have the guy check it out for me I dont want a 2wd truck in that case I'll drive the Tbird in the snow

I'll check the other cars availbale at auction see what else they have

·
2,530 Posts
That also looks to be a 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You probobly already know this, but the 2.3 SOHC 4s are totally gutless. Don't expect to tow anything in it :) V6s are still respectable engines.

Heres my experiance with my 1994 2.3 Ranger (first car)

Pros:
-Bulletproof Engine
-Easy to work on (except spark plugs)
-Good handeling
-Comfortable interior
-Cheap (very)
-Reliable transmission
-Funcitonal
-Good ground clearance
-Looks good

Cons:
-Slow
-No tachometer
-Not enough power to pull a boat :eek:
-Likes to slide a lot when its wet... Usually into things...
-Changing the sparkplugs is hard. There are 8 of them in a 4cyll. No idea why
-Limited interior room

I'll let you be the judge of that :)

Also, after I wrecked it, I sold it to a guy who rebuilds transmissions. He says that stock, the ranger MTX is filled with ATX fluid... Which slaughters the transmission. My cousin has one that always grinds when shifting into third. It has low miles on it aswell. If you can, make sure the transmision shifts well. If there are transmission problems, stay away!!

As for 4wd, you can check by the wheels. They always had 4x4 logos on them. and if that fails, Just look under it, and see if its got shafts going to the front wheels.

Sorry that was long, but I hope it helps :D
-Ryan

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Forgot something: Whats with it leaning forwards?? Bring a jack with you, jack up the front of it, so that it is sitting level, and see how much space is between the cab and the bed. You should NOT be able to get your fingers between them. If you can fit your hand inbetween it, behind either the driver or passanger door, it has frame damage.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Silenced said:
-Changing the sparkplugs is hard. There are 8 of them in a 4cyll. No idea why
Fuel economy.

Silenced said:
Also, after I wrecked it, I sold it to a guy who rebuilds transmissions. He says that stock, the ranger MTX is filled with ATX fluid... Which slaughters the transmission. My cousin has one that always grinds when shifting into third. It has low miles on it aswell. If you can, make sure the transmision shifts well. If there are transmission problems, stay away!!
I don't know about that. Gear oil is what kills the Mazda gearbox in those trucks. I know because I have one - a '94 B2300 with the 2.3 and 5-speed.
From the research I've done, they're supposed to have ATF in them.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Mine was at about 197,000 kms when the incident ocurred. Tranny still shifted fine, with the ATF and alot of hard drving. The owners manual calls for ATF, and NOT to use gear oil.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Whelp, since two of you say it does better with ATX fluid, I'll believe ya. Just relaying what I was told.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hard driving blows the synchros in third gear causing it to grind eventually not keeping the transmission in third at all. I used mercor fluid in all three of my rangers and i never had a problem. ALL my rangers front ends were lower than the back i don't know why. good find I must add depending on the price i wouldn't go over 500 on the last one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
After having both reg.cab & ext.cab, I'de never go back to reg.cab. I have a '94 Ranger ext.cab STX 4x4 w/4.0l, now, and love it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
MiBird96 said:
After having both reg.cab & ext.cab, I'de never go back to reg.cab. I have a '94 Ranger ext.cab STX 4x4 w/4.0l, now, and love it.
I agree with all of this. You will never own a regular cab again if you have an extended cab. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts