TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got in a car accident, and parents are gonna buy me a new car, well there gonna give me 3k for a new car. I was looking around, and saw a Mazda 626 V6 with Manual transmission at a local dealer. He was asking 2995 for it, it had 110k miles on it, leather interior, everything worked fine it seemd. The moonroof moved a little slow, but worked.

Now the question is, is the mazda 626 a good reliable car? I tired looking at reviews, and saw both good and bad reviews. Do you think I could lower the dealer down some more money than hes asking? The exterior was in good condition and so was the interior. Also, is a stick hard to learn to use? Thanks

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
if you havent driven a stick before, I dont recommend learning on your new car.

I havent heard much about the 626s, I had a friend with an 80's 323... that thing would NOT die, required a little maintanence, but its pretty tough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think its a good time for me to learn stick, I mean, might as well learn sometime :D

Mark M. TCCoA VP - Have you had any problems with yours?

·
Banned
194 Posts
my friend has an early? 90's 626 beater thats been through hell and back and its running strong. we tear it a new one, when he got his new car we tried to kill it, it won't die, it earned respect and now is still driven

·
8,239 Posts
i would get one with less miles, that doesn't sound like too hot of a deal.

autotrader.com or ebaymotors.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it seems like alot of miles, but alot of people say they last for along time for mileage.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
What year is the car? 110K isnt really that much now-a-days. A manual is not at all hard to learn how to drive or anything...I traded my thunderbird in on a focus after driving nothing but autos...the salesman taught me how to drive stick and I drove it home that night....I was rough at it & killing it and all, but a week later I was doing okay, and a month lather I was good at it...once you drive one you prolly wont want an automagic again.

Earl

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a 1993, sorry I forgot to say. Yeah as I was saying, 110k isnt that bad. I'm trying to find reviews on this car, but I keep getting both good and bad reviews. Alot of people are praising it, while the bad reviews are about how you have to repair parts alot.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My brother had a v6 626 and that thing would haul. I got it up to 130 one day, and it was an autoimatic. Unfourtunatly he didn't have it long enough for me to tell you about the reliability. :rolleyes:

I will say that we did have a good deal of stuff done to it, but it was stuff like tires, front axels, and a distributer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks you guys, :D

Jemplayer- What year was it? Do you think you could do me a favor and ask what kinda problems, if at all he has had? Thanks man.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think it was an early `90's? not before 95.

Hell I drove the car more than him. My parents bought it before he got his licence and I drove it that summer due to the fact that my camery had been rear ended.

When we bought it the AC did not work, could not tell you what was wrong with it, probobly commpressor related. And the check engine light was on, took it to the dealership and needed a new distibutor. Both of those are things I consider things that just happen and you never can really plan for.

The week before he wrecked it we had 4 new tires and the front axels replaced. As with all front wheel drive cars you have to be sure to make sure the CV boots are in good shape.

But the car had over 150,000 miles on it and after getting the distributor fixed was in great shape. Now I have heard that some Mazda's have transmission problems, but I feel that ours was in great shape and would have gone another 100,000 with out a problem.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
For a whopping $4.95 for a monthly subscription to www.consumerreports.org , you can read about cars, trucks, toasters, food, electronics, etc., and see what they have to say about reliability, etc. on used cars. Their rating system covers about a dozen topics or items on cars, and may be worth reading. Or, go to a good bookstore, and check the auto section there. Once in a while, you can locate the Consumer Report auto book at a bookstore.

Check used car prices at www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com - make sure you know what year the car is, and it's approximate condition and options.

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
I had a 1994 Probe GT with the same V6 & 5-speed powertrain combo as the the 1993 Mazda 626 that you are speaking of.

The timing belt has to be replaced every 60,000 miles. I got a quote from Ford for 8 hours to do the job. Just a "heads up". I had plug wires go out at about 45,000 miles, but one could expect that. The wires, due to their weird shape (DOHC engine with the plugs between the cams), were almost $100. My power steering rack started to get a little "sticky" when it would be hot. The steering rack and timing belt were the reasons I traded it in for a new Accord EX in 1998.

The engine and transmission were great. The engine is super smooth and pulls strong to the redline. The engine, however, does not have much torque, so getting it started from a stop involves a little clutch slippage and application of throttle. It's not like a Mustang or a Jeep where you can just dump the clutch and expect the engine to pull it out. Nothing to be worried about, it's just something to get used to.

It certainly was a fun car to drive. I'd see how low you could get the asking price and go ahead and get it. Take it for a test drive first, or have somebody familiar with a manual transmission take it for a spin.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My mom has had 3 626's. A 95(I think), a 97, and a 2001 she has right now. They seem to be good cars, she's never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had a 1991 626 4 cylinder, manual, and besides a backfire ('cause of Liquid Petroleum Gas installation, very common in The Netherlands and therefor an almost new engine) a very good car. I've never seen a 626 with rust or major technical problems so take it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought it, but the freaking moon roof motor died, and it was snowing at work, so my car was full of snow :mad:

Im going to take it back to the dealer and make him fix or, or else I'm going to return it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts