TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to court tomorrow to get some tickets dismissed....2 of them I know I can get dismissed.
But, the 1 I got for speeding, was 30 over the limit(75 in a 45).
I know I can't take defensive driving, but do yall think I can get deferred disposition?(or deferred adjudication, is what I used to call it).
I looked online, and I might be eligible, but not sure with mine being 30 over the limit.
Anyone in Houston know?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tobey said:
Request defensive driving. They don't have to let you do it, but they likely will. And stop speeding, Mr. "Take your car to the track and PROVE your point!"
Online it says that you can't take defensive driving, if the speed is 25 and over....

and oh yeah, this was in my truck.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
deferred adjudication. You should be able to get that. Just dont get convicted of another fine with in 90 days.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
_95badbird said:
Online it says that you can't take defensive driving, if the speed is 25 and over....

and oh yeah, this was in my truck.
You can't automatically take it. Many years ago, I got a ticket for 87 in a 55 (LaPorte cop; long story, but I was only doing 70). When I went to the hearing, I just requested DD and they allowed it. I've never done deferred adjudication, so I don't know how that would work.

Just remember, all they want is your money. They don't really care about anything else. Start by requesting DD since it's cheapest for you, and negotiate up to DA (you have to pay the fine for this, right? DA just keeps it off your record?).

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
deferred adjudication = Prayer for Judgement in NC it means they'll suspend nailing you for 75 in a 45 for some period of time (a year in NC) provided that you don't get nailed again in that time frame. If you do you're screwed. Then they nail you for that offence and the one that was suspended. Get a good lawyer and see what he says. Lawyers are dirt bags except in traffic court. I had one get me out of a ticket for 95 in a 65 in Tennessee a few years ago. That one cost me $400. But! it saved me about $2,000 in higher insurance rates. Good Luck!

Edit: The trooper cut me a brake and only wrote the ticket for like 85 - I really was running closer to 95. That made a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
so, i can request deferred desposition, and then what? i got a tick for 20 over. 50 in a 30... does it just mean that i dont get it put on my record, but i have to pay the fine?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
damnmit boys.....30 over.....i would lose my CDL automatically...if you are able to get that differed deal.....do it.....like chris said, NO tickets for some 90 days or so or else your screwed.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
so, i can request deferred desposition, and then what? i got a tick for 20 over. 50 in a 30... does it just mean that i dont get it put on my record, but i have to pay the fine?
Like I said, ask a lawyer. This forum is the worst place to ask legal advice. Every state is different.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
If you look closely that quote is from somebody in Kansas.

Just trying to help.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If this ticket is in Houston, you can say goodbye to trying the defensive driving route. They are very strict about how fast you were going and how lenient they will be. The best route for this ticket is deferred adjudification. I should know, I lived in Houston for a little more than half of my life, and have gotten many tickets there.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
rzibilske77

I see what you're saying. No hard feelings.

-Ron

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I went, and asked the clerk if I could do either....she said I need to set a court date to talk with the judge about it.....so in 2-3 weeks I'll get a court date.

When I was younger(16), I got deferred adjudication....back then it was 180 days.

Trust me, I got roughly around 30 tickets in my first 3 years of driving....I was going to defensive driving just about every damn year.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Wow! You ought to be an expert at this by now. We should be asking you for advice not the other way around.

Anyway good luck fighting this in two weeks. Let us know if you're able to cut a deal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts