TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned out the vent (again) out to the outside but the darn thing doesnt get hot to dry my clothes its always cold is there an element or something to change?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Yup, unless you have gas, you have to remove the drum to get to the heating element.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Have you checked the pilot light on the dryer?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well there shouldn't be a pilot light. LOL. Dryers have ignitors.
What kind of dryer is it? If you had a clogged vent then its entirely possible that you have a blown thermal fuse.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
crap, Kenmore. That doesn't do me any good since they actually make nothing. Their stuff is made by various other manufacturers and badged with the Kenmore name. It could be anything.
Unfortunately it will be tough to help when I don't know what you are working with.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
There's no heat
If your dryer doesn't heat, check these:

Power from the house
Heating element
Thermal fuse
Wiring

Power from the house
Check to see whether there's power getting to the dryer. Is it plugged in? Check for blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers--your dryer uses two fuses or circuit breakers. The dryer could tumble but not heat if only one of the two fuses is blown. If you have circuit breakers, one of the two circuit breakers can trip, even if the two for the dryer are connected.

Heating element
Often a dryer heating element burns out, but doesn't trip the circuit breaker or blow a fuse. The heating element is simply a long coil of special wire. You can check it for continuity with an ohm meter. No continuity means the element is bad and you need to replace it--electric heating elements aren't repairable.

Thermal fuse
On many dryers, there's a thermal fuse mounted to the exhaust duct inside the back cover panel. The fuse--which is about an inch long--is usually embedded in black resin and mounted in a white plastic housing. If the fuse has blown, you need to replace it. (You can't re-set it.)

Wiring
A common problem is for the main wiring connection from the house, at the dryer, to burn and break its connection. Because the dryer can still tumble with partial power, the connection may be only partially defective. You may need to replace both the power cord to the dryer and the terminal block inside the dryer that the wire is attached to.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the # on the dryer itself is model # 97585820 the one in the book is 110.97585820

I'm going to just have it repaired professionally since I dont want to mess with anything gas related

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
394 Posts
First question. Did you buy it at Sears when it was new? If the answer is yes, go back a throw a HUGE fit!! I use to work at Sears, 3 years ago, and had an old lady come in with a vacuum that she had bought 10 years earlier. The hose was clogged, the beater bar would not turn, and parts were literally falling off it. To make matters worse, when I started it, it smelled like CAT PISS!!! Anyhow, I told her that there was nothing I could do, and she started throwing the before mentioned HUGE fit. She demanded to see the store manager, and the store manager said she would give her 20% off a new vacuum. The old lady said she would call Chicago and talk to them, and our store manager gave her a NEW VACUUM!!! When Sear's store managers hear Chicago, they will give you anything. Chicago calls the store and tells them to make the customer happy, and if it means replacing 10 year old vacs, so be it. I can give other examples. In short, if you bought Sears crap, take it back, and threaten to call Chicago!!!

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Darrin said:
Well there shouldn't be a pilot light. LOL. Dryers have ignitors.
Darrin, At one time gas dryers did have pilot lights. I had one that did. I've had electric since then. I have other things to do than to keep up with the latest technological advancements made to the household clothes drying appliance. Even if that "advancement" is decades old. ;)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Al_Florida said:
Darrin, At one time gas dryers did have pilot lights. I had one that did. I've had electric since then. I have other things to do than to keep up with the latest technological advancements made to the household clothes drying appliance. Even if that "advancement" is decades old. ;)
Yeah, the DOE banned production of them in 1988.
Up until Nov 15th of last year I worked in appliance repair and I never saw one even though I know there must be some still out there. I wonder if anyone still makes repair parts for them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a Kenmore fridge stop cooling a year or so ago. Called Sears and they offered a one year extended warranty on it. That included the service call to fix it. Was not a bad deal. The fridge was almost ten years old.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mom dukes is being thick headed she wants to use the local appliance store

they will come look at it (for a fee) and if they cant fix it they subtract the price of the house call from the dryer

they fixed our stove and washer previously

when the stove finally died (after 20 years) they delivered a new one within a half hour on a saturday

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK. Lack of answers not surprising on a technical issue outside the realm of this list.

Try this site, find their forum or read up on their site and ask your question. Don't forget to insert the model number of your unit. They'll give you the answers you need. I've fixed pretty much all my household appliances with their help. Forum answers come quick too.

http://fixitnow.com/

He also has a link to a repair clinic that sells the parts at a discount and they arrive quickly! The nice thing is that once they tell you what part is broken, you can go to the parts site and look up what the part looks like. Then you can find it on your unit once you start to replace it.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Darrin said:
Yeah, the DOE banned production of them in 1988.
Up until Nov 15th of last year I worked in appliance repair and I never saw one even though I know there must be some still out there. I wonder if anyone still makes repair parts for them.
Well if there's any doubt I'm old, that should clear it up. Thanks man. :D heh

1 - 20 of 22 Posts