TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I got a letter in the mail about my court case and it says I should get roughly $12K in restitution by 2005. I want to know if anyone here has received or had to pay restitution. Will this money actually be paid to me? It says if they do not pay to contact the courts, but if I contact he courts because they have not been paying do they just extend their probation or get jail time?? I don't want to sound greedy and that I want my money, but I gotta get something out of this whole ordeal. I would appreciate any info on this. Thanks
-Jim

·
Registered
663 Posts
Your lawyer should sit down with their lawyer to set up a payment schedule including a "due by" date. For example, they agree to pay you $XXX per month by the 5th of the month for however many months it takes to pay you the sum before the court mandated date of 2005. If they miss a payment by, lets say a week, call your lawyer and have him send a nastygram.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well...for them to be able to say you'd get 12 grand by '05 they must have figured out how many dollars per month it would take to come to that amount. Now lets see.... it's almost 2004 so lets say starting January '04.That gives 12 months to get to 12K by '05. So you should be getting 1K every month if they expect you to have gotten 12K by '05...right? Is this a private party owing you this or a business? You should get together with your lawyer and have things cleared up. Who gave this 12K by '05 numbers? Your lawyer? The courts would have to determine how much per month the Defendant would be able to pay based on a percentage of his/her wages. If that's what the courts came up with....the Defendant must make pretty damn good money...IMO. They SHOULD garnish the wages of the defendant for the restitution.

12 Grand in restitution!!!! What the hell happened??????:ztoohot:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had a similar issue with someone who owed me $5000 - then the @sshole just declared bankruptcy, and there wasn't a thing I could do! :redmad: But don't even mention that to them, so they don't get any ideas. I WOULD mention it to your lawyer, though, just to see if you can protect yourself from that. Also, is there a possibility a court order could be made to garnish his wages if necessary?

If you don't have a lawyer, I'd highly suggest contacting one immediately! $12,000 judgment is worth it!

BTW - what happened? I don't recall seeing anything here about it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The states attorney sent the letter about the money. It says the money is to be paid jointly with the co-defendant (2 guys total, maybe more). Right now I haven’t got a lawyer involved because the states attorney is running the show now. I think after they are done I can take the guys to civil court. That is why I want to see if they actually will have to pay up. I have asked the states attorney a few times about this and she just dances around the question because the case is not 100% closed.

The event that caused this all is I was jumped by 7 or more guys. I was knocked out almost instantly with a JB bottle to the head. There is some more info in this link (I think my 1st post about it is on the bottom of page 24)Click

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
If the State Attorney is involved, he is actually defending you, they will collect the money, and send to you...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts