TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 Bird W/ Major Tranny Issues!! HELP!!!!

Hola, so I've got a bird that's got nearly 200,000 miles on it.. The tranny is nearly toasted.. The issues I'm having is, It takes til 5K to engage into drive from a dead stop.. Reverse is nearly the same story.. And after its been driven for quite some time the tranny smokes horribly..
Note: The front two 02 sensors are not pluged in.. What I do believe is.. Is that the tranny is stuck in fourth gear, and that maybe the band and clutches in side the tranny have finally given out.. If anyone could shead some light on what this maybe please inform me thanks!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tranny problems

Hey i dont know the problem but if you need a new tranny ive got an extra one woth 65 or 70000 miles on it and i live in missouri just saying i pulled it out of a wrecked 94 thunderbird if your looking for a new one

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,579 Posts
The 94 and 95 transmissions are junk. I can't say specifically what exactly your failure (be it the direct drum or forward clutch or whatever) is but the trans is shot. Sure you could get it rebuilt but the best thing to do would be to swap in a 99+ trans for as much or less money and end up with a far superior product in the end. Dirtydog or Darrin will probably chime in at some point, they're the real experts here.

·
Registered
799 Posts
got 260,000 miles on mine

·
Registered
457 Posts
so, if the 94-95 transmissions are junk, which I am not disputing, which transmissions 99+ are direct bolt ins that we should look for? I am almost in this boat now.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
It's not a direct bolt-in swap, there are a few things that need to be done. IIRC it's 99-04 4.6 Mustang, Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car you should be looking for. Preferably the later because well, think of the driving style the trans from the Mustang must have seen compared to that from one of the Panthers.

I believe you need to swap a few of the sensors (I think EPC/MLPS) from your old trans to the new trans in addition a harness repinning, also depending on which car you get the trans from you might also need a speedo gear (8 tooth vs our 7 tooth output shaft). Those more knowledgeable will likely chime in at some point.

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,579 Posts
I meant more just what does it do..
Not what is is..
Read Trunk Monkey's post in the acronym thread, which is what I suggested you do in my last post.

Alternatively you can do a few forum searches, which is what most of the folks here would tell you to do. This is as close to spoon feeding as you'll get, I'd say.

Your transmission is dead, the only way it would work again would be a rebuild. As I said, it's best to get a newer model trans if you have any plans on keeping the car.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm really done putting money into this..
Yes an T45 would be amazing.. But id need a new low milage motor to go w/ it..

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As States.. Simply looking for a shop or someone in the STL area that knows transmissions will take the time to look at mine and shed some light on what my issue is..
The tranny isn't engageing into any gear.. I'm looking to rebuild it myself.. I just need info on what I'll need..
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have a buddy down that way that can do it, I will talk to him and see if he has time I know he is usually quite busy with other things.
Alan

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'm getting one from a guy in Kansas city if that closes enough.

Though apparently Alan doesn't want to plug himself.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I don't build aod's without fixed line pressure for shipping out. If the tv cable isn't set correctly the unit will fry. I don't pull the Art Carr,Lentech,Monster crap where they charge just as much to fix a unit under warranty as to build it the first time. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Alan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts