TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know what's wrong with this Mazda MX-6?

Thanks for clicking on this post! :)

A friend of mine from school came up to me today and asked me if I could tell him what's wrong with his car. I didn't get to look at it (left it at home), but he described the problem to me.

I don't know much about the Mazda MX-6, other than it's the brother of the Probe (right?).

Alright, to the car...and the problem:

Mazda MX-6
V6
5 speed

Do not know if it's got disk brakes all around, or if it's got drums out back....

Anyway, apparently, under sudden braking (example: someone cuts him off), he says the RPM's drop as the brake is depressed. Also, under braking, the 'check engine' and 'battery' lights turn on. The car does die when this occurs, since the RPM's drop down......

:2huh:

I honestly have no clue what could be wrong. He's planning on taking it in to a mechanic tomorrow, but he doesn't want to get screwed over since he knows nothing about automobiles.

So, anyone have any information, expertise, suggestions? I'm gonna call up one of my mechanically inclined buddies...but wanted to post here as well....it NEVER hurts to get as many opinions and 'probable causes' when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks for any help you can give. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
MX-6 is a Probe

Miata's and Capri's are based of the MX-3

And I agree with gzj, sounds to me like he isn't pushing the clutch in, I don't know, sounds stupid but...
Maybe it is a clutch problem causing the clutch to not disengage when he does push it in.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
WTF, pressing in the clutch?

I meant he knows nothing about FIXING cars....not DRIVING cars...he's been driving standards for 12 yrs now....and he's had this car for 2 yrs....however...a faulty clutch...I'll add that to the possibilities.....

I was leaning towards a vacuum leak....so yeah...hearing that a few times is good...well...it's bad....but good to hear (I guess).

I'll tell him ...hopefully it's not the trans itself....

4 cam.....Mazda Miata's are MX-5's.....you are right about the Probe/MX-6 thing though. I went ahead and changed it in my original post....

thanks for the help guys. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts