TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not really, but I would like to lift the ride height maybe 2" higher than stock for better ground clearance. I realize it might look goofy, but with some slightly taller tires to fill in the wheel well gaps, I bet it will look fine.

If I lift it through the springs and leave all the control arms in the stock locations, do you think it could be aligned correctly?

I can move the front strut rod forward mount down to maintain caster.

I might be able to add some spacers to the rear subframe and drop the whole thing an inch if the gas tank isn't too close.

Has anyone lifted a T-bird?
Or just added bigger tires?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I've seen them raised with 26 or maybe bigger rims on them. Most of the time they do caprices. Never got close enough to see how they did it.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The only way youre going to get more Ground clearance is with Larger wheels / Bigger tires.
I think that picture above disagrees with you... :)

7" clearance with 15" steel wheels requires something.

I saw pics of some guys in FLA with 26" wheels; that would do it, until the suspension calls it quits. :zdunno:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw pics of some guys in FLA with 26" wheels
On a T bird or do you mean on a car? Some of those guys will just drop a car body on a truck frame - Pow! Instant lift. :) But I don't want to go that far. Maybe just 28 or 29 inch tall tires. Something that will laugh at potholes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
WTF is a Donk? and that is one of the ugliest things i have ever seen

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you want something to get around the chugholes we have here in Houston, then buy a truck. I PROMISE that if I see you driving around on a lifted and truck tired MN-12, I WILL take pictures and laugh.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
In your other thread I posted the tires I used. The front were 26.xx tall and the rear were 28.xx tall. If you need more than you need a truck. I had no problem with speed bumps or pot holes. Evan went off road a couple of times.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
:rolleyes:PLEASE don't encourage donk-ism...especially on the MN12...do you realize how lucky we are that these cars have not caught on with that....crowd????!?!? Please don't let them see the uhh....."potential" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In your other thread I posted the tires I used. The front were 26.xx tall and the rear were 28.xx tall. If you need more than you need a truck. I had no problem with speed bumps or pot holes.
Yeah, but I want a taller front tire as well. That's the hard part, getting past that spindle bolt.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:rolleyes:PLEASE don't encourage donk-ism...especially on the MN12...do you realize how lucky we are that these cars have not caught on with that....crowd????!?!? Please don't let them see the uhh....."potential" :rolleyes:
Solid rear axle cars are much easier to lift so I doubt T-birds will ever catch on.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I've seen T-Birds set up the way the blue one is. Got close enough to know it did not use a straight axle on it. The front tires I used cleared the front suspension. They were not real wide thou. The fronts were 26.9.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I think that picture above disagrees with you... :)

7" clearance with 15" steel wheels requires something.
It actually proves my point - the 15" wheel has a TALLER tire, which makes for more ground clearance.

I do have a Tbird with about 7.5 - 8" ground clearance at the Frame's lowest point, it also has 17" with 255/50 tires, AND the SC / Sport springs - which are 1/2" Higher than LX springs.

You want more ground clearance .. bigger tires / wheels. I suppose you could put in a Longer springs if you can find them or a Spacer between the upper mount / body might work, but that is only a theory I have - the suspension was initially designed to stay within a "comfortable driving range".

Lose a LOT of weight in the car and it will sit higher.

OR, Install an Air suspension or Hydraulics if you want more lift.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
It actually proves my point - the 15" wheel has a TALLER tire, which makes for more ground clearance.
No, I have had 225 75/15 tires on, and there still wasn't 7" of clearance... A possum does not clear with 225-60/15 tires, lol.

Tbirdtess, are you running tall tires or did you jack it up some?

I think the thread with the pics is here somewhere; those 26" tires/wheels look pretty stupid, IMHO.

If you want a truck, buy a truck.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
No, I have had 225 75/15 tires on, and there still wasn't 7" of clearance... A possum does not clear with 225-60/15 tires, lol.

Yall must have some Tall possums. I use a Tape measure to measure mine.

Like I mentioned above .. SC springs, less weight and taller tires WILL make your car sit higher. Take the engine out of your front end and tell me the front end is not taller.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Race

Hi

I have heavier springs for racing. 600lb or so. They are shorter so a couple of spacers. But still on the spring/shock unit.

I redrilled the upper control arms, Mostly to gain camber. Both sides.
RF strut rod pulled forward for more caster.

I have the rear spring isolators in upside down. Kinda like a spacer
(the isolators from mn12performance), they are taller than stock.
5" X 12" they don't fit the lower all the way.

I also only have a role cage & lead in my car. Need 3400lb.
11 gal fuel cel.

We are running Hoosier racing recaps, by towel city.
They are meaty. Taller than what we used to run(225/70-15)
the RF is 87 1/4" around. lefts are 86 1/4"
They almost fit under the fenders. lol
Yes, there is some rubbing:zdunno:

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts