TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a T-Bird model on ebay fairly cheap and it came in pieces. Yes - Pieces. The only piece that I can't find is a headlight. So if anyone has parts T-Bird model, I'd be interested in a headlight :) Oh well, just means I can put it back together and do some things that I want.

Anyway, anyone else build and customize their model cars (or trucks for that matter) Looking for tips and idea's on stuff to do. I'm looking to lower it, tint the windows, and different wheels. Do most hobby shops (Hobbytown, Hobby Lobby) or do I have to find them in another model.

Thanks for any help.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I used to bastardize other model kits to make one like I wanted. Either that or in certain cases made my own plastic pieces.

I don't recall seeing just plain old wheels for model cars, but I'm sure someone is making a buck doing that.

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
wooooo...something I know about.

I used to be assistant manager at a hobby store chain called Allied hobbies. We had our location bought out by Spencer's gifts at the mall(bastards), otherwise I would still be working there to this day. What do you need to know. All I did for 8 hours a day was build models and rc cars at work. About the headlight, you could fab one of your own or if you want you could make it looks liek gts covers and use a hard kind of celephane plastic in the color of the car. Or use clear but it may not come out well because of the material behind the celephane where the healights should be unless you actually fabed a little peice of chrome foil in there to make instant crystal clear hedlights.

To tint the windows it actually very simple. They actually sell spray on tint for model cars. It looks good. Model Master paints makes itr. All you do is just take out the inner shell for the windows, mask off the outer layer, and spray the inside. Comes out real nice.

I actually have made some lowered, with hydraulics model cars. I used to be damn good. if you have any other question, please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I've got more model cars than I'd care to admit, including a few SC kits... only 89-92s were made though :( Those kits are still pretty cheap to get and aren't in super demand.
http://www.modelcarkits.com/
these guys have what's probably the biggest gathering of modelers (dad being among them)... they're a fun group and really know their stuff. You can get almost anything you want through there (or at least find out where you can). Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
you could always do what i did and turn it into an R/C car, then you can drive it around =) it won't have interior though

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I've got a SC bird that fell off the shelf and I shoved it in a drawer... nope, just checked it, front fascia and headlights are long gone :-(

What brand is the kit? I think Revell-Monogram's site used to have a thing where you could order specific parts for cars. I've got a Lightning F-150 that needs a back window to be complete (came like that from the store... then I accidentally broke one of its taillights,) I'm thinking I'll just jack its motor and put it in something else.

I love getting a model kit, putting it together, letting it sit for a while, then taking a motor out of another car and doing a swap, or building a trailer, or fun stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hey Melon, Happy Birthday!

About the models, haven't touched one recently, but at home i have a 36 Ford 5 window coupe. I bought a Hot Rod Lincoln model (Mark VII) for the tubs and the wheels and tires. The wheels were modernized versions of the old school hubcaps with the old school V8 logo so they were perfect for the car. Also used the fuel cell. I cut the tubs from the Mark chassis and the rear off the coupe and put them together. The engine was out of Cruz Pedregon's McDonald's Funny Car. Car was teal with a lime green drive train, looked real good. Had to cut the steering box out to fit the engine in but it looked sweet. To lower it you will have to do some cutting where the wheels mount and move them up higher, thats my suggestion.

When I quit building I was working on a Ranger splash that was getting a big block with a tunnel ram. I had the tubs in it, I had the frame cut and narrowed in the back to fit between the tubs, the frame was painted. the truck was completely shaved, sanded, ready to be primed. The interior pan was done. I still had to get the engine fit correctly, some cutting was necessary on the firewall, but I quit there and there it sits in a drawer at my parents.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a ray bestos model tbird but the headlights are built on. I bought some chrome rims taht look like 22's on it. Its not gonna be a racing bird when im done. So far i havent put it together, but the engine is chromed out haha. I also have a 97 metal bird that ive worked on. It looks like a 94 w/ 97 headlights, lowered, tinted windows, i made a matching wing like the one on my bird, shaved it out including taillights (broke em) and i made a custom body kit :) Its still not done, but when i get off my lazy butt it will be haha.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
ShadowDragon said:

I don't recall seeing just plain old wheels for model cars, but I'm sure someone is making a buck doing that.
I'll have to dig out all of my spare model pieces. From what I remember I've got quite a few wheels, some exhaust pieces, and lots of engine parts. Haven't really modified mine that much, other than custom painting them. Last one I did was a 93 Cobra with Corvette side pipes.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well... i work at a model, and every now and then ill be poking around in a model kit (i have a stack and not much time)... but we have a wide array of wheels for model cars. my store in st clair shores, MI.. its called whistle stop (for anyone who is nearby)... and we have a TON of model kits. lik a 40ft (approx) isle lined with em. we do mailorder ($10 flat rate shipping fee)... 586-771-6770... so if anyone wants to order a bunch of stuff, you can either shoot me an email or call the store. im there most evenings and weekends. if you want to if we have somethng, let me know and ill tell you. by the way, i do not get commission. -greg

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
something I've wanted to do for a while....I built a kit called the "Hemi-hydro combo" it was a 65 chevy stepside truck with a jetboat that had (I believe) a 426 hemi in it, really sweet kit and it turned out really nice, well, I got to thinking and I've always been a fan of four door trucks, no not those new bs ultra-short-bed four door trucks, the real four door F350's & such, well, to my knowledge, a four door 65 chevy truck was never made and would be quite cool, so I've always wanted to buy two 65 chevy kits (either fleetside or stepside) and cut em up & make a four door, I think it'd be sweet, whatddaya think? good idea? if I could find another hemi-hydro kit, that' dbe nice too..I also bought a chevy van with a race car trailer kit, and I had plans to make the chevy van into the van out of "Cheech & Chong's next movie" with the hydros & all, but it never happened, the van got built regular, with one stipulation...it had a corvette engine in it from that boyd coddington kit of the modern 57 chevy bell air....sadly the only ford I ever built was an F350 dually kit, which was a cool kit, too bad I cant find it anymore.

Earl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts