TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone near the gulf region for Gustav? It looks like where ever it hits I will be there the next day. I am deploying to Mobile Alabama tomorrow for pre-stage.

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
im a hour away from new orleans....im thinking about heading north for a few days, but it depends on if i have to work or not...

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
im a hour away from new orleans....im thinking about heading north for a few days, but it depends on if i have to work or not...
you'll be fine, we go through this stuff all the time in florida.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I'm about an hour away...
An hour away from what? The coast?

In Houston. South side. Will probably drive on down to see if the storm surge is coming. I really do not want a surprise in the morning, that this thing has turned and coming to visit.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Fortunately it is moving away from us in Mobile (although we will still get some rain and wind), but unfortunately that is not true for everyone. I hope those in the direct path stay safe...

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
you'll be fine, we go through this stuff all the time in Florida.
Florida is not Louisiana and visa versa. Remember Katrina? It hasn't been that long. Provided, the gulf coast is actually taking this one more seriously than they did Katrina. The damage will be nearly the same even if the death toll is significantly less.

I've been to Florida for two hurricane seasons and also went to Louisiana after Katrina - there's no comparing the two states.

If you're in the Louisiana, Mississippi, South Texas target area for Gustav my thoughts and prayers are with you and your families.

On a related note, If this one lands like Katrina did - and it's certainly looking that way - look for a spike in gas prices again - possibly as early as Tuesday. I'm going to top the car off today just in case.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be carrying an extra 20 gallons in the truck as gas gets scarce for the first week after. Florida is not below sea level like New Orleans, I would prefer to stay in Florida if Hanna hit to be honest. Hotels are not cheap after a storm hit either.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
WOW! What a storm! Did yall see all the damage? Some awnings and tree limbs got knocked down. That was one powerful storm. A few mobile homes had the roofs knocked off of them. I guess we hear in Texas are a bunch of strong people. Hell I was running around on my jet ski when it hit. In Galveston. That 25 foot surge and 115 mile an hour winds sure stopped me.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess that was the first miss by 100+ miles of a hurricane you have ever experienced.................

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to New Orleans tomorrow and looks like maybe in a week or two will be sent back to the east coast for Hanna/Ike.

·
Registered
799 Posts
im from the coast that storm wasnt too bad.. i stayed..

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Im in Houma, LA. Eye passed right over us. Watched it from my front door. Got electricity back this past sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
WOW! What a storm! Did yall see all the damage? Some awnings and tree limbs got knocked down. That was one powerful storm. A few mobile homes had the roofs knocked off of them. I guess we hear in Texas are a bunch of strong people. Hell I was running around on my jet ski when it hit. In Galveston. That 25 foot surge and 115 mile an hour winds sure stopped me.
Good thing the eye passed "really" close to you. Maybe you'll do the same if IKE hits closer to Texas?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If you're in the Louisiana, Mississippi, South Texas target area for Gustav my thoughts and prayers are with you and your families.

On a related note, If this one lands like Katrina did - and it's certainly looking that way - look for a spike in gas prices again - possibly as early as Tuesday. I'm going to top the car off today just in case.

Thanks for the prayers.

so far it sounds that the rigs did well. I know all my companies rigs are ok. one with some damage to heliport only.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts