TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I made a substantial change to the server last week, and I'm curious if anybody's noticed? It seems a fair bit 'snappier' to me, but sometimes when you want to see a change, you do whether it's really there or not, ya know? So let me know what you've seen. Thanks!

:D

·
Registered
966 Posts
I guess now that you mentioned it there is a bit of a speed increase. No more server busy screens (for me that is). But I guess I didn't really notice it until you said something. Nothing to dramatic on this end of the spectrum.

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
Ron and I were actually discussing this a few nights ago when the site went temporarily down. We both immediately noticed the improvement when it came back up :)

Thanks for the continued effort Bill!

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody wanna hazard a guess as to what I changed?

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts
You bought the site back?! :D

Joe
LOL We can only dream! :tongue:

That would be great but I highly doubt it happened.

IDK enough about site hosting, server capacity or bandwidth to even begin to venture a guess ... Shadowdragon and some other networking/ IT savvy guys might be able to make an educated guess.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If nobody guesses by tomorrow, I'll tell you. :D For now, time for fun with my girls!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hmm.. Maybe he did buy the site back? Lol

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Big difference in speed, I just wish there was more of a reason to visit more often, site kinda died on the vine, I pretty much gave up when the server busy stuff was always happening.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Anybody wanna hazard a guess as to what I changed?

You asked ShadowDragon to help you out?..

In turn..The site has gotten faster..

Because he's been tweaking things to make the site run faster?

That's my guess.. :zdunno:

Rayo..

·
Registered
844 Posts
+1 turbo to the server?

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
20 questions time! :)

Hardware or software?

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
It's not the newest VBulletin, so that's not it...

Enterprise grade SSD's are super expensive and you're too smart to stick a consumer SSD into a server, so that can't be it either.

You said the change was made to the server, not the pipe so it's not that.

So that basically leaves...

CPU/RAM, Software optimization.

The site doesn't feel any faster or slower to me, I wouldn't have noticed any changes if you had not mentioned it.

Because he's been tweaking things to make the site run faster?
My access to the VB options hasn't been fixed yet. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Enabled caching? Doubled the RAM?

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We moved a few of the biggest databases to an SSD. All the server load was IO waits created by large joins building temp tables on the disk. I moved the databases and MySQL's temp folder to the SSD and we now rarely see spikes in server load.

It's not a full-on "enterprise" SSD, because yeah, they're nutso expensive. But it is an Intel 520 and the data on it is backed up to platters twice per day, once on server, once off, just to be cautious.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts