TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sick of video games except for SOCOM2:D , movie crap, and all the other "let the picture on the screen" build the image stuff. So, while I was at Barnes and Noble last week, I browsed through the military non fiction stuff and found what I think is one of the best books Ive read in quite a While. Its called "Warrior Soul: Memoir of a Navy Seal". Written by Chuck Pfarrer. It is his personal account of the operations he was involved in , ironically at some quite important chunks of history. Mostly being Lebanon and what really happened to the Achille Lauro. I read it throughout the week and finished it yesterday. Ive read most all of Tom Clancy's non fiction accounts, Into the Storm, Every Man a Tiger, etc...I highly reccomend picking up Warrior Soul..

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=P956jUd9ZL&isbn=1400060362&itm=1

joseph

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
What's a book?

;)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I just got done reading some of Harry Turtledove's Great War series. He's an alternate-history novelist. His first book was called "Guns of the South" and the plot is kinda twisted: In the Civil War, time-traveling racists supply the Confederate Army with AK-47s. It's actually not quite as weird as it seems, as Turtledove constructs excellent characters and very convincing storylines. I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
more into reading fantasy/sci-fi. terry brooks is my favorite, along with r.a. salvatore and terry goodkind. i usually go through atleast 20 books while im deployed.

·
Anything But Typical
1,337 Posts
The last books I read were the Silmarillion, the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy. I'm waiting on "Unfinished Tales" to get here, and then I'm diving into the Histories of Middle Earth.

I read all this kind of stuff for fun. :D

--Molly

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Craig-and-Molly said:
...were the Silmarillion, ...--Molly
That is a sometimes very dry, but very good book. It is obvious however, that it wasn't finished by J.R.R. himself. :(

Ever read the Thomas Covanant Trilogy? Or Piers Anthony? Those are older books but I think they are pretty good. :thumbsup:

I used to read Sci-Fi/Fantasy books about once a week, but it just got too expensive with buying a book or two every week and too time consuming. So now about the only books I read are OEM service manuals. Even though I have most of them on CD, I still like to go page by page and read up on a project before touching a wrench. :D

Keep in mind that I went to school pre-Internet. Research was called the - **gasp** - “Library”. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Keep in mind that I went to school pre-Internet. Research was called the - **gasp** - “Library”. :thumbsup:
Microfish *twitch twitch*

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
thanks in part to the net, I read more in one week than I use to read in a year. As for books, my attention span is way too short. Technical manuals, articles, sure, but I can't read novels, they drive me insane.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Fubarian said:
thanks in part to the net, I read more in one week than I use to read in a year. As for books, my attention span is way too short. Technical manuals, articles, sure, but I can't read novels, they drive me insane.
Ditto. I used to read novels in and out, but honestly I don't think I've actually finished one in years. Last one was called "The Association" by Bentley Little.. VERY good book.

Tech manuals and articles are my literature of choice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you like real account war time novels, i would suggest anything written abour a LRRP during vietnam. LRRP's where your basic five to six man team armed to the teeth and bad as all hell. Their is also a pretty cool calvary helicopter book written by the pilot during vietnam also.

I remember one story about a pilot in vietman in one of the LRRP books about how he jumped out of the helicopter during a hot extraction and started running towards the NVA and shooting at them. What was really cool was i then read the exact same account from the actual pilots own book.

If i remember to get the names of the books i'll get them for you.

tony

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Fubarian said:
"Print is dead" - Egon Spengler.

·
Pimp in denial
998 Posts
i read a few books last year while deployed, Catcher in the Rye, the Inferno, LOTR trilogy (in 18 days baby!), couple dennis miller books, bill o'reilly book, i tried to get into some epic poems like the aneid but couldn't.

-aaron

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
SloMo228 said:
I just got done reading some of Harry Turtledove's Great War series. He's an alternate-history novelist.
I was reading those long ago...stopped because he hadn't written them all yet. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Anything But Typical
1,337 Posts
ShadowDragon said:

Microfish *twitch twitch*

Taken from Merriam-Webster Online

Main Entry: mi·cro·fiche
Pronunciation: 'mI-krO-"fEsh, -"fish

I'm mostly into Stephen King, Shakespeare, Tolkien, and stuff like Beowulf, Tristan & Isolde, and The Inferno. Heavy reading, me likes.

Nothing like going into a Library. I get a big stupid grin on my face everytime I go into one. I'm such a dork. :D

Don't have the time to go to one anymore, not with a whiny two year old. I just get my books off of Amazon from Marketplace sellers. Lots cheaper than Borders /Barnes & Noble, etc.

--Molly

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Taken from Dictionary.com

get a life

Acquire some interests or relationships of one's own. For example, Stop sitting around and complaining get a life.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Craig-and-Molly said:
I'm such a dork. :D
At least you're not in denial.. ;)

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Hmm... do these count?

6000 pages of the good stuff, right there. ;)

I don't get why it's so widely held that people don't read anymore... lots of people read. Even some of my FRIENDS read, so it's got to be more popular than people say. :D YES, books are good, but they're not the only literary source around. I'll tell you, especially when it comes to researching literature, the internet is awesome. If there's something written online (and I mean written properly) that's easier to get than a book, I don't see what makes the book so much better. Okay, paper, big deal. I load my PowerBook up with ebooks before vacations and such because I don't have to take them back to the library when I'm done, I can hit command-f and find a passage that I wanted to read again, and I find that I'm more likely to read because of it. If you teach your kids proper English from a young age, then let them loose on the internet, I think it's only going to help them. Not only are they exposed to the gamut of writing styles, but frequent reading just keeps your overall comprehensive skills in tune.

But anyway, the last thing I read was Melville's Benito Cereno, which is pretty short but awesome nonetheless. I had to read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last term, that's always good. Steve Martin's book of essays, Pure Drivel, is also great. I bought a book about Ford fuel injection systems, that's pretty good, but not nearly as technical as I'd hoped.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
C.R. Roseberry - "Glenn Curtiss, Pioneer of Flight"

Ernest K. Gann - "Fate is the Hunter"

Richard Bach - "Stranger to the Ground"

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I read only Street gang, Mafia, and serial killer books. Only non-fiction though.

If you like the same check out these books....

The Hot House (Leavenworth Federal Penetentiary)
Gotti
For the Sins of My Father
Monster (one of my personal favorites)
Do or Die

Dave

1 - 20 of 36 Posts