TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading it... what a great book. talk about detail and plot twists not to mention alot of very intresting hystorical facts and conclusions. I reccomend this book to everyone... once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down.

anyone read it? what did you think?

-steve

·
Registered
744 Posts
i read that thing within a 30 hour time frame. can't put it down. and that's not even his best book. go check out <i>Angels & Demons</i>

·
Registered
329 Posts
pretty fascinating book , one of my favorites any other books you reccomend

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
SC_Steve said:
I just finished reading it... what a great book. talk about detail and plot twists not to mention alot of very intresting hystorical facts and conclusions. I reccomend this book to everyone... once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down.

anyone read it? what did you think?

-steve
It is bull. I was reading some of it and then I watched a special about it on the Discovery channel (or history, I can't remember). It was about the book and basically they said while it was interesting the book is false. They said there were only a few things that they really couldn't completely confirm as false, but for the most part it was someone taking stuff from Da Vinci and turning it into a VERY elaborate story. I would suggest trying to find a re-run of that episode if you can...it was really neat.

Russ

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Anything by Dan Brown is awesome! Angels and Demons is set before the Davinci Code, Mike Langdon is the main charachter in that book as well, I suggest you check it out. I also just read Deception Point, it was great as well. The tempo of his books keeps you reading and the plot keeps you thinking. He has another book out too but I don't know the name of it. I got to get it from my sister.
The Davinci Code is going to be a movie as well with Tom Hanks playing the main character, should be interesting.

·
Registered
744 Posts
96bird said:
It is bull. I was reading some of it and then I watched a special about it on the Discovery channel (or history, I can't remember). It was about the book and basically they said while it was interesting the book is false. They said there were only a few things that they really couldn't completely confirm as false, but for the most part it was someone taking stuff from Da Vinci and turning it into a VERY elaborate story. I would suggest trying to find a re-run of that episode if you can...it was really neat.

Russ
that's why it's called FICTION

·
Registered
162 Posts
94t-birdlx said:
He has another book out too but I don't know the name of it. .
Digital Fortress is the 4th book hes written, at least that I know of. Id have to say for sheer shock value Deception Point is my favorite one followed by Angels and Demons.

I

·
0 Posts
To rework a line from "The Usual Suspects" and use it here:

"Well I do believe in God and the only thing that scares me is Opus Dei"

The Illuminati is a close second.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
96bird said:

Russ
I read both of them over the course of this weekend. I too saw the special on the History Channel Russel, and when they take the story line of the book out of context the way they did, and examine the historical and religous refrences, it is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. But if you ignore all that, and read the books as fiction work, with an entirely fictional storyline, but using historical and religous fact for the carrying points of the story, it is incredible. For him to do just that, create a fake storyline by using historical and religous fact just blew my mind. Now take into consideration, every single person I have ever talked to that read these books all say the same thing, you will look at your faith and your religon differently. I personally do not. My faith and my beliefs remain the same. The books are pure fiction, but all of the historical and religous refrences are fact, thats what sucks you in, thats what makes you think it might be the truth hidden inside of fiction. And from that, you get the legions of the masses chanting conspiracy, and all the attention, as well as deep investigations as to whether or not it is all true. All of the secret societys, and of the ancient brotherhoods, while those are real, their missions as outlined in those two books, was altered to fit the story line. As well as the affiliations of all the historical figures to the church, the vatican, and everything that goes with it. All of those people and those societys may have all been linked, but I would say that the link they all shared was different from they way it was outlined in those books. I suppose ultimately its up to each induvidual reader to make his own judgements, as well as draw his own conclusions based on his faith and what he believes, but like I said, incredible plot lines with fact based historical and religous truths incorporated. And the first line is not a typo, I started Angels & Demons Friday nite, and finished The Da Vinci Code 10 minutes ago, I'm a bum, I have no Life, and I'm a damn fast reader. Jim

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
CableguyJJS3 said:
I read both of them over the course of this weekend. I too saw the special on the History Channel Russel, and when they take the story line of the book out of context the way they did, and examine the historical and religous refrences, it is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. But if you ignore all that, and read the books as fiction work, with an entirely fictional storyline, but using historical and religous fact for the carrying points of the story, it is incredible. For him to do just that, create a fake storyline by using historical and religous fact just blew my mind. Now take into consideration, every single person I have ever talked to that read these books all say the same thing, you will look at your faith and your religon differently. I personally do not. My faith and my beliefs remain the same. The books are pure fiction, but all of the historical and religous refrences are fact, thats what sucks you in, thats what makes you think it might be the truth hidden inside of fiction. And from that, you get the legions of the masses chanting conspiracy, and all the attention, as well as deep investigations as to whether or not it is all true. All of the secret societys, and of the ancient brotherhoods, while those are real, their missions as outlined in those two books, was altered to fit the story line. As well as the affiliations of all the historical figures to the church, the vatican, and everything that goes with it. All of those people and those societys may have all been linked, but I would say that the link they all shared was different from they way it was outlined in those books. I suppose ultimately its up to each induvidual reader to make his own judgements, as well as draw his own conclusions based on his faith and what he believes, but like I said, incredible plot lines with fact based historical and religous truths incorporated. And the first line is not a typo, I started Angels & Demons Friday nite, and finished The Da Vinci Code 10 minutes ago, I'm a bum, I have no Life, and I'm a damn fast reader. Jim
I see what you are saying about the History channel taking things out of context. Sounds interesting.....it did peak my interest a little bit.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
96bird said:
I see what you are saying about the History channel taking things out of context. Sounds interesting.....it did peak my interest a little bit.
If it got your interest in the slightest, put the History Channel crap out of your mind, read the books, you will get into them. The history and everything they talk about, fake missions aside, it is really fascinating. All you need is an open mind. Getting past the fact that the secret societys and ancient brotherhoods are the true parts of the story is the hard part, the made up story line is evident once you wrap your mind around the rest of it. Jim

I

·
0 Posts
Discovery Channel show or not, just remember the book is in the "fiction" section of the store. It's not real. It's not meant to challenge any teachings or dogmas already in place. Just a way to create an interesting story and make a boatload of $$$.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Actually ice_nyne...its interesting that you said that because it wasn't in the fiction section of the bookstore that i went to. They didn't have it labeled fiction and they had it as a best seller on a face out in the non-fiction section.... That was one reason that I wasn't too impressed with the book when I started reading it and then saw the history special since it was in the non-fiction section and wasn't labeled fiction

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well I'm sure that whether or not those books are a work of fiction is a judgment call from each induvidual reader. I would say that is the source of all the buzz about them. The conspiraxcy theorists are prolly runnin overtime to make more crap up. Whether or not they are true is irrelevant to me, I have my beliefs and I will stick to them. Now the thing that really got me into them was the fact that the majority of the people, places, events, and societys from a historical viewpoint was true. The actual events that made up the story line of each book I don't believe to be true, but I'm won't say it isn't possible. I think outside of the box, as well as I take an odd viewpoint to most things. In Angels & Demons, I don't believe there is some super secret pyhisics lab in Geneva that created anti matter, nor do I believe they discovered The Force either. Though they made reference to Captain Kirk, if they had tossed Yoda out there, I'd have closed the book and never though of it again. So the events in that book that pertain to those things I don't believe to be true, but as for the ancient brotherhoods and such as well as the majority of the religous and historical referrences made, those I take to be true, based on what I know of history and Catholicism.
For The DaVinci code, Indiana Jones found The Holy Grail, it is the cup that caught the blood of Christ at the crucifiction, and I believe nothing else. Seriously, whether or not the grail was actually a person, take it how you want, the rest of the references to ancient societys and brotherhoods, as well as traditions and beliefs, those I take to be true, and that is what makes those books fascinating to me. But again, everything above stated is my opinion, each person, if they have enough intelligence to grasp what all is happening in those books, and comprehend it to a degree, then they are smart enough to decide what they believe to be true or false. Just my .02. Jim

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hey Jim.....there is anti-matter. I don't know about the super secret lab thing, but many of our particle accelerators create anti-matter during collisions. There is even a device that uses anti-matter, you might have heard of it, Positron Emission Tomography or P.E.T.. They are trying to create anti-matter for the use for rockets, but all they have been able to do so far (that is actually usable and in a usable quantity) is to create low energy anti-matter for use in things like the PET.

Russell

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Oh yeah and by the way anti-matter is a natural thing in radioactive decay...it just happens very infrequently.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well I stand corrected on that then Russell, thanks for the clarification. Im not physics major nor do I know anything of engineering or particle accelerators.I understand the concept of it, based on the few things I have read, but thats about all. All I really know of anitmatter I learned from Star Trek, lol. So I take your word for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts