TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im running an a/c delete pulley on my car with a smaller pulley on the alternator (2.5" as opposed to factory 3.5" iirc). As a result, the belt has been slipping on hard shifts. I installed a 1" shorter belt the other day and I am still getting the belt slip. Im beginning to think it may be caused by the plastic a/c delete pulley. Next step was going to be dropping down another belt size and getting a gatorback. Thoughts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Alot of Delete pully's found on ebay and summit racing are only plastic. friend had one on his ranger. seemed kinda crappy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Some A/C delete pullies come with shims to properly line up the pulley with the others, so the belt is straight. Not sure if this is your problem but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Some A/C delete pullies come with shims to properly line up the pulley with the others, so the belt is straight. Not sure if this is your problem but I just thought I'd throw that out there.
I've never had a problem with serpentine belt alignment. I have had pulleys that you could see were off by as much as a half inch and no noise.

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
Alot of Delete pully's found on ebay and summit racing are only plastic. friend had one on his ranger. seemed kinda crappy.
Its plastic from ford too, both from the catalog and in non A/C production cars (Cobra R's). Theres no point deleting the compressor if the delete weighs the same.

And no issues with mine.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Funny.. My belt squeeks too when I hit 2nd.. I'm runnin a gator back belt... I love the way my tranny shifts tho lol

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I also, did the j-mod, and my belt squeeks when it shifts (when I'm gettin' on it). I just tell passengers that's the tires breaking loose :rofl:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had belt slip when I did the j-mod and had to get my chip reburned. With my tune, no squeak. When i reverted back to the OE tune, I got belt squeak.

I almost suspect its a deceleration sqeak because timing is pulling during shift with OE tune....but thats a total guess with no data. All I know, is I had a very audible sqeak.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I had some belt slip and I had a new tensioner, Come to find out after going through EVERYTHING it was once again the tensioner. So check your tensioner guys before you do anything. Also if the AC pulley needs to be shimed the kit should have come with a washer. I just installed my delete pulley so im curious on how it will hold up with what I have going on under the hood.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems to be shimmed right, everything is lined up straight. Ive got a brand new tensioner, idler pulley and crank pulley on it. A tune is next on my priority list so I will see if that resolves it.

Thanks for all the input guys :thumbsup:

ok off topic question, but where did you get ur hood MikeyB?
Got my hood from these guys.

http://www.fiberpartsconcepts.com/

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had an A/C delete kit on my tbird with over 400hp and never had a problem with it. Ripped an alternator pulley off once but the plastic pulley worked just fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
Ripped an alternator pulley off once but the plastic pulley worked just fine.
I broke an alternator off the (plastic) manifold once, on a wot 1-2, lol. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts