TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the Mustang 3.8L vortech kit and was wondering what is needed to adapt it to the thunderbird.

The part that most concerns me is the A/C compressor as the lines dont look to have enough slack to relocate it downward.

Anyone have pics of this on a Tbird? also any regrets?

Thanx,
Brad

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I don't think my setup would work on a splitport, the splitport upper intake would be in the way where I relocated the the vortech intake tube to. (the mustangs intake tobe that comes with the kit doesn't fit because our strut tower are about 3" more forward then a mustangs). I never did get around to getting my AC working again, though I did research and there are places to order custom flexable line for around 200-300$ but I can't remember where. Next stage of my car is going to be the built 4.2L shortblock then building a Single turbo setup and ditching the Vortech, but thats now a few years off since My Wife and I decided to get our family started and I have a little girl comming in a few months.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not using the mustang upper I'm using the Winstar upper. So I will need to make a new discharge tube which shouldnt be a prob with some piping and my welder it will be a tight bend though,, that goodness for the vfn cowl hood.

I just bought all new components for the A/C but havent charged it yet so I guess I will take the connector off and have the lines extended at Napa (does it for $15 a line! nice)

This of course is going on my 4.2L good thing I opted for the MLS gaskets and head studs! Now bigger injectors and a new FP are in order (sitting in the garage)

I noticed yours was the V1 and mine will of course be the new V2 SQ (while I do like the V1's better)

All n all I couldnt pass up the complete kit BRAND SPANKIN NEW for $1500!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
thats a pretty good price, and NO you don't wish you had the V1 instead, it draws TOO much attention both good and bad. I payed 1200$ for my setup used 3 years ago.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to have the V1 on my mustang,, loved the sound and there was a writeup along time ago that the v1 produced more boost up high then the V2,, but the v2 had a better impeller design to produce boost faster in the lower RPM ranges. That will probably pay for itself on this engine.

Yeah I find a couple used for around 1800 but $1500 new in the box is a steal! I wont use parts like the FMU and extrenal pump. I'm gonna install a 190LPH pump (leftover from my stang) and probably go with 39 or 42lb injectors.

I'll have Justin at VMP tunning set me up with a safe tune after that. I'mnot looking to squeek every last HP out it,, but I think it should atleast beat the new 06 Mustang GT's.. well see.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you should get an f1 procharger :)

·
8,978 Posts
well then get a powerdyne, if you want reliability. its not that big of a difference.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
both the powerdyne and Prochargers get EXTREMELY hot if you run anything more than a 1/4 mile with them. I've seen what the bearings on a Procharger look like after an extened High speed run, its not pretty. Even hotlapping at a local small town track (like running every 5 minutes) will over heat the units. This is due to the extreamly small amount of oil in a procharger and NO oil in a powerdyne and it doesn't take long to excessively heat them up. A Vortech is getting a constant supply of oil to keep the bearings in cooled enough.

06' Gt's shouldn't bee too much off a problem with your setup.

·
8,978 Posts
the powerdyne, I would say, it reliable, of course, I dont have your experience ranch. I know my buddy doesnt take it easy on his 5L fox though. Granted, he only has a 9psi pulley. But he has some miles on it and he hot rods it around during the summer. I do like them because there's no plumbing to run.

Me? I'll go with a turbo. Or at least a roots if going supercharged. I'm still innovating a way to fit this M112 on here :)

-Thomas

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does anyone have any more information on whats has to be modified from the mustang kit to fit on the bird? I plan on installing one this summer on the 3.8.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
if you need vortech stuff message me! i am a dealer

·
8,978 Posts
the only thing I know of that doesnt fit is the tube from the vortech to the throttle body. As I remember, it hits the shock tower. But making a custom one should work fine. Also, I dont know if it will fit, but v6 mustang guys have really good numbers with the procharger kit, but its located down on the bottom passenger side of the engine instead of the top, which would leave you more room for an intercooler setup, but I dont know if it will run in to the cross brace on the k-member.
-Thomas

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone have any more information on whats has to be modified from the mustang kit to fit on the bird? I plan on installing one this summer on the 3.8.

The first thing I see as a problem is the A/C system,, while this may not be a prob for some I definatelt wanna keep my A/C functional.

I'm also planning on adding a Air-Air Intercooler ro my vortech setup,, which makes it the same if not better then the procharger setup.

The intake tube is not gonna be the problem as I'm runnning a splitport 4.2L motor with the Winstar Upper Intake which has the TB facing frontward.

·
8,978 Posts
The first thing I see as a problem is the A/C system,, while this may not be a prob for some I definatelt wanna keep my A/C functional.

I'm also planning on adding a Air-Air Intercooler ro my vortech setup,, which makes it the same if not better then the procharger setup.

The intake tube is not gonna be the problem as I'm runnning a splitport 4.2L motor with the Winstar Upper Intake which has the TB facing frontward.
yeah hood clearance is a nice thing to have too :)

with a forward facing TB and a procharger though, you would have TONS of room for a water/air intercooler without having to move the battery, and the water reservoir could go where the stock airbox would normally be. Plus you wouldnt have that nasty bend at the outlet like the vortech has.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One last quick question about the vortech kit. i know the mustang kit comes with a module and probably wouldnt work on the tbird, so after installing the vortech should i get a custom module made or a dyno tune?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the main reason the NEWER mustang setup comes with a module is the mustang used no return line for fuel (fuel pressure was controlled by the computer and not by a vacuum modulated regulator.

if you get the 96/98 mustang vortech kit it comes with a FMU which raises fuel pressure based on boost.. evrything is included in that kit.

Personally though,, they give you the FMU and a extrenal fuel pump to handle the needs,, IMHO I run 42lb injectors (no FMU) and run a 255LPH in tank. the eliminates the FMU and extrenal fuel pump.. all in all it just makes the system more simplictic... However you still need a Mass air meter calibrated for 42lb injectors and a S/C. Tuning is up to you.. I run my mustang (same setup) with no tuning at all.

It all comes down to the almighty $$$

1 - 20 of 28 Posts