1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
11,859 Posts
That was 2010. The last post in that thread was in November 2012.

You sure they're even still available from that guy? His last activity in that forum was September 20, 2013.

As for the harness; I'm sure someone here could make you one.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I remember that...I think I emailed that guy at some point way back when and tried to get one and had no luck...but I don't remember for sure, the last few years are somewhat of a blur, but yeah, it's a nice product, I wanted one, I know that much for sure.

·
Registered
313 Posts
He still makes them. He is at Corral.net and SVTperformance.com I have one for the 4v. Just havent installed yet.

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Well that sucks. Those pictures were hosted from the Member's section. So much for that. I'm sure I have them stored somewhere here, as I'm sure others do too.

I have two of those harnesses ready to go for a 2V, but mine hardwire into the engine harness by the bulk connector.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
the negatives outweigh the positive with COP's imho. Sure it makes the engine bay look cleaner, but the price of the individual coil is outrageous (for a decent part), and it doesnt take to long for them to start cracking after a few years of enduring the engine bays heating/cooling cycle.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
No one ever said looking good was cheap :p

My harness was about $100 but that can be done much cheaper if you splice into the harness and get the connectors from the junkyard.

You can find a set of COPs for less than a set of Motorcraft wires. The boot/spring on the COP can be replaced too for about $2 each.

Ultimately, if you aren't installing a supercharger or doing a wire tuck to show off your engine bay, it's a worthless mod that serves no performance gain.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
the negatives outweigh the positive with COP's imho. Sure it makes the engine bay look cleaner, but the price of the individual coil is outrageous (for a decent part), and it doesnt take to long for them to start cracking after a few years of enduring the engine bays heating/cooling cycle.
I beg to differ. Who is stupid enough to buy individual coils at retail or even discount pricing?? You can find brand new Ford OEM Motorcrafts "take offs" for around $50-$100 a set if you bother to look around and call up places. I ran my used coils (not even new take offs) for years and didn't have a single ignition problem. No deterioration, nothing needed replacing, no "cracking" anywhere. In fact, they are the same exact set I will run on my car once I get it back together to fire off a near ~14:1 compression ratio. Go figure.

·
Super Moderator
16,743 Posts
My used COPs have outlasted my motorcraft plug wires so far, and I didn't pay nearly as much for them. If your worried about heating/cooling cycles cracking them you should be worried about your stock coilpacks then. They're made from the exact same materials.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Since this thread is at the top of leader board I'd like to ask some questions.

1.) Do cop coils batch fire.? I'm thinking they don't. Non-waste fire coils better, right?
2.) Cop coils fire higher volts? Short coil wire, or...
3.) How hard would it be to make your own wiring harness?

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Since this thread is at the top of leader board I'd like to ask some questions.

1.) Do cop coils batch fire.? I'm thinking they don't. Non-batch fire coils better, right?
2.) Cop coils fire higher volts? Short coil wire, or...
3.) How hard would it be to make your own wiring harness?

1. You wire them so that 2 fire at a time, like it would with your normal coil packs. If that's what you're asking.

2. Don't know, I'm sure GM does.

3. It's easy. I suck at soldering and had no problem.
Keep in mind 94/95 wiring is different from 96/97, find the appropriate diagram.

*Edit*
I vaguely remember reading about 94/95's having problems with COPs but not sure if it was just user error.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
skinnytick said:
1. You wire them so that 2 fire at a time, like it would with your normal coil packs. If that's what you're asking.
Oh, so it is waste fire. But, it uses the same trigger and module as the stock ignition?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Oh, so it is waste fire. But, it uses the same trigger and module as the stock ignition?
yes, I wired it into the stock engine harness coming straight from the EEC. I don't have a way of testing the voltage but I'm pretty sure if it was not adequte, most OEMs would not be using them right now. My article can be found in many mustang internet forums by now; I know I've seen it on Corral, Modular Fords, etc. It is simple, and it works.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Sounds pretty straight forward once you know the harness.

I use to test coil output voltage with brands like Sun oscilloscopes. You'd pull the coil wire and watch how high the volts would jump up. I'l search the forums you mentioned thanx.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I bought a harness from Red Monster. But that was two years ago, can’t speak for whether or not he is still selling now, but he makes a great project, attention to detail. I really didn’t want to wire my own, just paid him the money. I plan to integrate the wires in the main engine wiring harness for a cleaner look.

As long as you're not buying the cheap ebay COP then yea, you're going to be replacing them every oil change. But if you spend the extra cash on Motorcraft stuff you're looking at 100K +/- miles for a new set. Same can be said for the coil packs as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I made my own harness b/c my 02 explorer engine had the cop modules still mounted. The used cops worked great.
you've been using them ever since I did the first write up, right?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts