TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was at the local walmart buyig the usual motorcraft filter for my 97 and i noticed a 5 quart bottle of premium synthetic motorcraft oil. I got the 5w20 bottle seeing how thats what the pi motor calls for and I was surpised to see the price tag on it at 10.35!! is this too good to be ture or what? i was so suprised to see actual motorcraft premium synthetic oil but at that price? shoot i bought 2 bottles of the 5 quart *thats all they had left* so i wouldnt miss out next time around.

With the 2 bottles of 5 quart plus 2 of the motorcraft filters i paid 29.53 total. not bad for 2 oil changes if you ask me ;)

has anyone used motorcraft oil or premium synthetic motorcraft oil?

-Mike

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Well that is a synthetic blend as in it is blended with conventional oil. I use Mobile One full synthetic at 5W30 in winter and 10W30 in summer just for added protection. The reason newer engines recomend lighter oils is for fuel economy and emisions.

-Miller

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I used Motorcraft too , it was on sale at Autozone .

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
and horsepower. I recently bought pennzoil pure synthetic. it was like $18 or $19 for a 5 quart bottle. Mobil one is great, but you are also paying for the name. I run 5w30 year round as per manufacturer specs

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Well that is a synthetic blend as in it is blended with conventional oil. I use Mobile One full synthetic at 5W30 in winter and 10W30 in summer just for added protection. The reason newer engines recomend lighter oils is for fuel economy and emisions.

-Miller
Lighter oil is also needed to make sure enough oil is up in the cam area. OHC motors need lighter oil.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well every pi motor ive seen so far has a 5w20 oil cap on it so yes i will go what the manufactor tells me.

$15 for a premium synthetic oil change w/ motorcraft oil and filter.....not bad at all

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
well every pi motor ive seen so far has a 5w20 oil cap on it so yes i will go what the manufactor tells me.

$15 for a premium synthetic oil change w/ motorcraft oil and filter.....not bad at all
i agree, go w/ manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I use Mobil1 on my PI motor but after the article JustinH found I am going to switch over to the Motorcraft blend.WalMart prices are always that low on Motorcraft because they get it in bulk.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea mobil 1 is about 22 bucks from walmart. you can get 2 five quart containers of motorcraft synthetic blend for the SAME price lol

·
5,650 Posts
Yeah. My cost at work is about $9.50. I get the 5 quart Mobil 1 container for about $18. The Wal Marts in my area never have a stable selection of anything. I used to by Motorcraft filters from them all the time, then they went on this 8 month streak of having nothing Motorcraft. It'll either be Motorcraft or Wix for filters and Motorcraft or Mobil 1 for oil for me.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

thats partly due to CAFE standards....but both 5w20 and 5w30 are fine. i run mobil1 5w30.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the motor is almost new so i will stick to 5w20 for now..i will go 5w30 when it has more miles on it

·
8,239 Posts
That motor will run forever on that 5w20 motorcraft oil, its a great buy.

I run the 5w20 in my 98 f150, never a problem.

If you want a full synthetic I like pennzoil platnium, but on NA applications motorcraft is more than fine.

It isn't that Mobil1 is a bad oil now, its just that they changed the formula to make it less of an oil than it was, and they kept the same premium price.

I wouldn't buy Mobil1, because they don't tell joe blow this, he keeps buying and thinking its the same when its really not.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i read that somewhere, that mobil 1 isnt fully synthetic....prolly why i stopped using it.

I plan on keeping this car n/a and im pleased to start using 5w20 premium synthetic on my almost new motor...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
That's not a bad price for a synthetic blend. If it were full synthetic, I'd be very impressed. But I've seen better prices.

Actually Ford could call it "Full Synthetic" only in the USA if they wanted since it is made from group 3 hydrocracked stock like Castrol Syntec and most other "Full Synthetic" on the shelf. Castrol won a court decision over Mobil for this. Very few oils are made from the true group 4 and 5 synthetic stocks.

Inside rumor I heard is that Ford does not want to alienate old school people that think synthetic is crap and also thinner than regular oil, especially since they are trying to convert everyone over to thinner 5W20 currently.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts