TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've ever had the privledge of removing the axles after someone has done this, you know what I am talking about. That is all.......

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
2 words for you.

SLIDE HAMMER!!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I think that he's talking about the "C" Clips....

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
hehe, tell us how you really feel!

actually, I'm about to tear into am IRS that I have..

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I think that he's talking about the "C" Clips....
I think he is talking about the disaster of putting a carrier from a solid axle car into a IRS housing.

It goes together so nice, but you will NEVER pull out the axles AGAIN!!

Unless you are real determined or installed the axles with out the retainer clips.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Crap! I thought they were the same. I bought a used trac-lock out of a Mustang to use. I have not put it in yet. I'm a ways from doing it.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Here is the difference.

If you are patient you could make the lip with a dremel, but you would be better off finding a machine shop to cut the lip in there.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think he is talking about the disaster of putting a carrier from a solid axle car into a IRS housing.

It goes together so nice, but you will NEVER pull out the axles AGAIN!!

Unless you are real determined or installed the axles with out the retainer clips.
Exactly. This one won't have clips when it goes back together. I don't know how long it took to get those clips out of there, prying with little picks, way too long for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Exactly. This one won't have clips when it goes back together. I don't know how long it took to get those clips out of there, prying with little picks, way too long for sure.
The good thing about learning thing's the hard way is you never forget what you have learned.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Been there done that with my mini-spool. Made for mustangs, and I figured "Eh, cant be that much different" . Then when I went to swap pumpkins for gearing, the RR slid right out, and the LR axle I junked the splines on the end, had to pull the rear and pound the axle out of the rear with a hammer, luckly though I could pull most of the mini spool out and get in there with a punch on the axle.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I have literally hundreds of track runs on mine with no circlips.
I've heard the same thing from many people, but I have never tried it myself

·
Registered
348 Posts
Alot of the aftermarket diffs come with the right lip for the IRS now thankfully.
Just hope you don't get new old stock, and watch out when buying used ;)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Couldn't you just swap the spiders gears and be done.

I know this thread is about those that haven't but would that be a solution.

Rodney

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Couldn't you just swap the spiders gears and be done.

I know this thread is about those that haven't but would that be a solution.

Rodney
The spiders have a cog on the back for the clutches in a Track-loc diff. Open diff's do not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts