TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about how fun a 5spd SC would be for summer but because of the price and reliability issues I don't really want to own one. I've *****ed about Ford not putting 5spds in 4.6s cause hell, that would be fun and much more reliable than a SC. I've always known about Turbo Coupes and sure they are just 4 bangers and all. But they are a little faster than a stock 95ish 4.6? and being manual justs adds to the fun. Sure, its no SC be any means! But at least its a Tbird and at least its manual!! Finding these things doesn't look to easy, hell there are like 10 SCs in the autotrader in my area allone right now!! But are TC's gonna sell for what an average 87/88 car should sell for? or do they have a huge underground following and such sentamental value?? Also, are they reliable? I mean, they look decently simple in design (solid rear axle, no airbags, ABS??) and that small engine under that big hood has gotta make it simeple to work on too! What do you guys think of TCs overall?? I've never heard anyone in TCCOA talking about them!

Jake

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I've always love the TC style. I've never been in one and don't know how fast they are but would love to have one. If I got one, I'd probably drop a 302 or a 351 in it and let the mods begin!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
See that's the strange thing, I always see ads for SC's in Canada (nice ones too!) but never any real decent ones down here in FL. There are quite a few TurboCoupes for sale. I thought about buying one a few months back, but I could not get over the interior. Bleh! The turbo just isn't worth it. ;) I see decent TC's going for $1500-3000 pretty much unmodded but in good shape. Maybe you should fly down here to get one...

·
8,239 Posts
Now, i'm not knocking turbo coupes, not knocking them at all.

They are a great looking car, but don't expect alot of performance out of a stock one. A guy at my local track brought a stock one, and ran a high 16 to low 17 in the quarter.

So, if you are looking for a cruiser, it would be cool, but nothing "fast" without dumping alot of money into it.

As for the fivespeed sc, that you want. I like driving a stick, my daily driver is a stick, but,
When you finally drive a fivespeed sc, you might just like your automatic better. My brother has a m5r2 sc that shifts good, but compared to anything else it shifts like a notchy dump truck. The m5r2 isn't exactly a slick shifting tranny. And the crazy wheelhop it has, i just say stick with an automatic.

If I were looking for a nice early mn12 or even a fox tbird, I would get a 1991 XR7 with the 5.0. All the sc parts, minus the sc motor.

Either that, or a sport like OKCBird's, again a five liter.

Another thing you want to consider, you are worried about reliablilty. If you are thinking of getting an 87 turbocoupe, you are buying a car that is approaching 17 years old. I wouldn't buy a car that old unless it had a spotless maintenance record, and absolutely no rust or rot.

JH

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've owned a TC and my son had one too. Around here they are cheap because nobody wants one. A stock 88 TC is good for a high to mid 15 with foot to the floor shifting (believe me, I know). The 88's will hold full boost through the gears where the earlier ones turned down the boost in the higher gears to protect the motor. They are easily and cheaply modified but expect head gasket failure on a stock motor with extra boost. Turbo lag is horrendous so you have to beat the heck out of it to get it quickly into boost, much different then instant-on V8 torque. If you can pick one up cheap they are fun to play with, but I'll stick with my V8's. Stay away from the automatics, they are limited to 150HP and were pitiful. The 5 speeds were 190HP stock and are good for an extra 10HP with every pound of boost increase, 220 HP easily obtained with wastegate mod and better exhaust.Hope this helps you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts