TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for anyone who works at the DMV or knows their rules well. Is it possible to build a car from scratch and have it titled and plated for street use? I'm going to be building a go-kart like thing this summer, and my plans include things like disc brakes, a full suspension, rollcage, lights, 5-point harness. It'll pretty much be a little car. Is there any way to have it approved or inspected or something?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I thought about that once. A kit car but If memory serves me right (this time) I didn't do it because of the trouble of the emisions. Still has to pass.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No emissions in MI! :D :D :D I'm gonna do this anyway, but if I can use it on the street, that's just gravy. It'll get around 40 mpg, I would use it as a DD.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Before you dive into a project like that I highly recommend you check ALL the laws, not just state laws. Emissions are federal and I don't know if "experimental" cars have to meet them or not.

I've looked a lot of times into doing something like that, but it always turns into a legal nightmare. :bawling:

Things like headlight height/brightness, DOT approval for brake lines, lights, etc. Then there is the whole insurance nightmare. Who will insure it... and does it have to meet safety requirements? Shoot, insurance companies balk at modified vehicles sometimes… what do you think they will say when you say, “Oh make and model, I built it from scratch…” :beek:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know it'll be a ridiculous amount of work to get it on the road, but I'm going to build it anyway whether I can get it on the road or not. It's not like I can do anything else with the parts I have, and they're not really valuable, so I figure I'll have more fun this way than working at selling them for a hundred bucks or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts