TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice people with the newer style Cougars think they are faster?...

Not sure if its just people around where I live or if its everywhere.
And its not just the v6 its the 4 cylinders too.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
Is the v6 version faster? I'd almost assume yes. I've never talked to anybody with a newer Cougar, but I've always wondered if they felt that way. That's okay, they can think whatever they want, I'd rather drive an MN12.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the v6 version faster? I'd almost assume yes. I've never talked to anybody with a newer Cougar, but I've always wondered if they felt that way. That's okay, they can think whatever they want, I'd rather drive an MN12.
The new one looks weird.
Too girly.
And the v6 isn't faster then the v8 when new, atleast I think so o_O
Some kid at my school with a 4cyl claims he could smoke me.
In a short race, yeah cause mine can't get off the line like he could, top end I think I could take him.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock to stock they're about the same. They're usually just commuters around here, I've only seen one or two "modified" ones
New ones?
This kid has an intake and thinks it hauls ass....
You can hear him a mile away farting up the roads with his blue neons and 2000 watt system.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Highschool was silly anyway, I'm only 3 years out of there and looking back a lot of drama or hype wasn't important at all, including all the kids with Hondas who hangout in the parking lot.

MN12's are cool, you don't needa prove anything to anyone, if you do take it to the track at least.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Highschool was silly anyway, I'm only 3 years out of there and looking back a lot of drama or hype wasn't important at all, including all the kids with Hondas who hangout in the parking lot.

MN12's are cool, you don't needa prove anything to anyone, if you do take it to the track at least.
I know.
I'm not stupid.
I hoon a little bit in the parking lot but I'm not as stupid as my friend was with his LS7 Buick....
Rolled it 4+ times across a lawn, while drunk with the car loaded with 5 people and no one had a seatbelt on.
No one died, the worst was a broken collar bone...
And some of the Honda's around here are respectably quick, a kid in my school smoked a 351 Foxbody.
Both were built and the Civic was intended as an Autocross car.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
My Contour SVT had pretty much the same 2.5L that's in the newer Cougars. With only headers, I was able to pull a car and a half on a stock Fox body GT in a quarter mile distance. It's probably about equal between them and the older 4.6 Cougars.

Around the time I had mine, there was a local guy a few miles from me that had a 99 Cougar. Had a custom built 3.0 swapped in and a decent sized Turbo. Put down 392whp on 11 psi. Said it would hold 26 psi all day long, but traction was non existent so there was no purpose.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Contour SVT had pretty much the same 2.5L that's in the newer Cougars. With only headers, I was able to pull a car and a half on a stock Fox body GT in a quarter mile distance. It's probably about equal between them and the older 4.6 Cougars.

Around the time I had mine, there was a local guy a few miles from me that had a 99 Cougar. Had a custom built 3.0 swapped in and a decent sized Turbo. Put down 392whp on 11 psi. Said it would hold 26 psi all day long, but traction was non existent so there was no purpose.
But isn't the SVT Contour Turbo?
Or atleast modified a bit over a stock 2.5?
This kid has a stock 4 cyl saying he would smoke me lol
If he did a little work to the motor then I bet he could, but stock vs Kind of stock on my end I think I could take him.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if you drive a "new edge" cougar, even if you win, you're still stuck driving it...
I'd take my old man car over the girly looking one any day xD
Everyone makes fun of my car one kid was like "Did that thing come with a free drive by?"
Its a big old car, but I love the damn thing, even if it doesn't always work.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
But isn't the SVT Contour Turbo?
Or atleast modified a bit over a stock 2.5?
This kid has a stock 4 cyl saying he would smoke me lol
If he did a little work to the motor then I bet he could, but stock vs Kind of stock on my end I think I could take him.
SVT Contours are a naturally aspirated 2.5L DOHC Duratec engine. Over a regular 2.5L that is found in the regular Contours or Cougars, they have revised intakes and different cams, so they'll slightly better than the base 2.5L. If he's got a 4 cylinder one, no chance he'll touch you, even with bolt-ons I doubt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SVT Contours are a naturally aspirated 2.5L DOHC Duratec engine. Over a regular 2.5L that is found in the regular Contours or Cougars, they have revised intakes and different cams, so they'll slightly better than the base 2.5L. If he's got a 4 cylinder one, no chance he'll touch you, even with bolt-ons I doubt.
I have one modification I know of o_O
B&M Shiftplus.
Not sure if it counts but its fun in the wet.
First to second chirps and if I do it right I can roast them in second gear just off the shift. lol

·
Registered
975 Posts
My wife inherited a 1999 Mercury Cougar V6 w/ manual trans & 120k miles on it...factory rated 170HP & 2900lbs...its not a bad car to drive, but the "fit & finish" is a bit lacking. A stock V6 MN-12 isn't going to keep up, but a stock 4.6 would be a good match, unless you're in the mountains...the Cougar sucks as a canyon carver.

Modded its really no doubt that a PI swapped MN-12 Cougar would own a 3L swapped FWD Cougar.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In Mexico that cars use to overheating and have transmission problems there in Mexico doesn't have the same accessories as a u.s.a. version they don't even have some of it power Windows and a/c ah y saludos Emmanuel 5.0 gusto en ver a un compatriots mexicano pot Aqui.

And originally the new Cougar design was made for the Ford Probe but they decided to use it as a Cougar with Mazda i4 and a V6 engines so when you race a Cougar you are racing a Ford Probe Mazda lol

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
I have one modification I know of o_O
B&M Shiftplus.
Not sure if it counts but its fun in the wet.
First to second chirps and if I do it right I can roast them in second gear just off the shift. lol
I'd undo that if I were you. First of all, the B&M ShiftPlus is for GM applications, so what you've got is something different. Second, shift kits spell doom to 4R70Ws; most have the EPC pressure ramped up rather than the "correct" way to increase shift firmness by adjusting the orifices in the separator plate and accumulator springs.

Read these excerpts from Jerry's thesis:

Jerry W. said:
It will make the shifts firmer by increasing line pressure, but there is a downside. The maximum line pressure that a 4R70W should ever see is 225 PSI in forward and 275 PSI in reverse (Reverse can be higher since the elements that apply in reverse are designed for the higher pressure, the forward clutch cylinders are NOT designed for higher pressure). If you exceed these values, you WILL distort the clutch cylinders and this will eventually cause some type of failure. The failure this causes is subtle and may not be obvious that it was caused by excessive line pressure. I know several cases where people have had chronic forward clutch problems, like slipping when it gets hot, after making this modification. The forward and direct clutch cylinders will distort, resulting in sticking pistons, leakage, and issues like this. The blow off valves that some aftermarket companies offer do not blow off at a low enough pressure.
In addition to exceeding the maximum amount of line pressure that the transmission should operate at, it causes a few other problems. The higher line pressure generated by turning the screw causes there to be less oil in the transmission pan. The higher the line pressure demanded, the less fluid in the pan. This reduced amount of fluid in the pan can cause the transmission to neutral out more often, especially in turns and accelerations after quick stops.
Another potential problem caused by turning the screw on the EPC solenoid is that the main regulator priority system is in effect more often. See the question about drilling holes in the valve body for more of an explanation about what this is and how it works.
Jerry W. said:
A lot of shift kits out there have you drill holes in the valve body. What most of these do is bypass the main regulator priority system and allow flow to the torque converter at all times. Let me explain. If the engine was running at low speeds and somewhat hot (>220 F), the pump flow is low. If you ask for high line pressure, via the EPC solenoid, you may not have enough pump flow to keep line pressure up to what is being asked for. Under this condition, the main regulator valve reduces flow to the torque converter circuit in order to keep line pressure at what is desired. This is not really an issue with the way the transmission is set up in production. This “priority” system only becomes active when at low engine speeds (<1200 RPM), high temperature (>220 F), and higher commanded EPC pressure (>65 PSI). If you turn the screw on the back of the EPC (which you should NEVER do) then this system becomes active at much easier entry conditions than before and you begin to starve clutches. Don’t do this, you are only asking for long-term problems. Even if the priority system activates, there is still a rear lube circuit that keeps the gear set lubed.
In case you don't know, Jerry W. was one of the Ford engineers that designed the 4R70W, among other things.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts