TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been out of it for a while. I'll be working on mt thunderbird soon as was wondering if there was any new developments in the shocks department. I've been searching and still can't find anything.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,527 Posts
Not that I know of, aside from the Tokico HP "Blues" being available again.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm happy with my monroe sensa-trak, that being said i haven't driven one with the blues, and my factory ones were so bad you could compress the rears by hand and have them stay compressed for way too long.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
How do you like the Sensa-Trac's "floaty" ride? Mine feels like a boat if I hit a dip in the road at speed, and it has gotten worse now that they have miles on them. Other than that they're great! :rolleyes:

The Motorcrafts are no prize either. I put a set on Brenda's car, and after a few years it hit the bumps HARD.

Al

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that I know of, aside from the Tokico HP "Blues" being available again.
This is news to me. I have little to no experience with anything other than sport shocks. Are these shocks worth getting? And where to get them. I've searched for things like this and came up empty.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Yes, the Tokico's are pretty much the only good shock for our cars anymore. Monroe's will work fine to keep the car on the road, but the Tokico's are the ones to get if you care about how your car handles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I do transmission work first. The car has been on the back burner for a bit but suspension is definitely next.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,359 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Tokico's are on amazon; they seem pricey to me, but I don't need shocks right now, lol.

Tokico HE3690 HP Rear $105.01

Tokico HU3689 HP Front $95.40

Rears are usually cheaper... :confused:

·
The Parts Guy
7,359 Posts
Looks like the Illumina II's are available on Amazon too, currently. EU3689 and EE3690.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Follow me for a second; in fantasy land, would you pick these over the Bilstein B6 shocks?
:wavey:

Well I live near Fantasy Island.

I have Bilstein S7G- 5555 up front.
Hugh difference over the Koni Adjustable's
And they were a big upgrade from KYB's

However maybe too much for a streetcar.

Sorry no progress on upper shock mount as yet.

:zbench:

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
:wavey:

Well I live near Fantasy Island.

I have Bilstein S7G- 5555 up front.
Hugh difference over the Koni Adjustable's
And they were a big upgrade from KYB's

However maybe too much for a streetcar.

Sorry no progress on upper shock mount as yet.

:zbench:
I've decided to try another route so I was curious about how the Bilstein B6 compares to the Koni's and the Tokico Illumina II's.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,516 Posts
What's the specs on these Bilstiens? For that matter what's the spec on Tokicos? Why is it this kind of information is so hard to come by unless they're racing inserts, and how the hell is one to pick racing inserts if there's no benchmark to go by???:tongue: I want something much stiffer than the Tokicos, interested to hear the results.

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
What's the specs on these Bilstiens? For that matter what's the spec on Tokicos? Why is it this kind of information is so hard to come by unless they're racing inserts, and how the hell is one to pick racing inserts if there's no benchmark to go by???:tongue: I want something much stiffer than the Tokicos, interested to hear the results.
I have not had an easy time finding that kind of data.

Here are the inserts I'm going to try for the front: http://cart.bilsteinus.com/productsearch/34-050224

Here are the numbers for the Cobra rears: http://cart.bilsteinus.com/productsearch/24-185974

The first ones are B6 which are listed as HD. The second ones are B8's which are listed for sports cars.

That's all I have at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I've been considering burning out a factory mount, and replacing the old center with a spherical bearing of some sort; similar to some of the mustang race setups.

What do y'all think?

Something like this, only different:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I've been considering burning out a factory mount, and replacing the old center with a spherical bearing of some sort; similar to some of the mustang race setups.

What do y'all think?

Something like this, only different:

Similar to my idea.

prob alot cheeper

·
The Parts Guy
7,359 Posts
Follow me for a second; in fantasy land, would you pick these over the Bilstein B6 shocks?
I haven't tried out the Bilsteins, so I couldn't say. If they were available, I'd buy a set, try them out, and sell whichever set I liked least. I can say that the Tokico Illumina II's are a significant leap from the KYB GR2's, but IMO, the firm setting could be firmer and the soft setting softer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts