TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it turns out the tbird that I bought the other week, has started to smoke severely, much to the sellers "it runs good, never smokes". Oh well, I guess I could ram the car into the front of his house for revenge, but then I wouldn't have anything to drive. Luckily I have a spare well taken care of engine and transmission to swap in. Hopefully we can begin sometime this week or after Xmas(I am at the mercy of access to my friend's lift). Is there anything we should do while swapping motors and transmissions? Is anything easier to while the engine is out than later? Are there any mods, improvements we should make(gotta be cheap)?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
it all comes down to how much money you got burning a hole in your pocket...we can come up with a list that you'll never finish....lets be reasonable...and lets also clarify exactly what you're talking about: maintenance-type items, or true performance upgrades?

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
My list of future upgrades never ends...

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I agree with Splattered, I don't know what years have the two piece firewall, but seeing some of the cracks others have posted, I would check that out.

·
Super Moderator
16,990 Posts
I agree with Splattered, I don't know what years have the two piece firewall, but seeing some of the cracks others have posted, I would check that out.
The 1 piece ones crack just as much, go to the junkyards and have a look at the cars that have them. The bigger advantage of the 1 piece firewall(or welding the seam) would be structural rigidity.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
The 1 piece ones crack just as much, go to the junkyards and have a look at the cars that have them. The bigger advantage of the 1 piece firewall(or welding the seam) would be structural rigidity.
I haven't seen a 1 piece cracked even in the junkyard. I'd like to see pics of that as I'm sure it can be broken but I can't see it failing like the 2 piece firewalls.

·
Super Moderator
12,027 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,990 Posts
I haven't seen a 1 piece cracked even in the junkyard. I'd like to see pics of that as I'm sure it can be broken but I can't see it failing like the 2 piece firewalls.
i'll remember to bring a camera to the yards next time i go, the 1 piece firewall cars seem to be mostly 89's. The cars i have found with cracked 1 piece firewalls seem to be just as consistent as the cars with the 2 piece ones.

It wouldnt suprise me if cars from the snow belt with alot of rot have them crack more often as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
The only things I can think of that become substantially easier to service while the engine is out are the rack and pinion and front sway bar.
I will agree Totally... I will never swap another Rack with the engine in the car. Ever.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I've got the one piece firewall in my 89, and it's not cracked. True, it only had the 3.8 in it, but I didn't take it easy with it since it was lowered. I plan to add some more bracing other than the fstb and rstb.

·
Registered
518 Posts
well... i just found out that my firewall has a small crack in her:(
Any bracing on your car currently? Just curious as to whether the bracing eliminates the problem or not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts