TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been getting curious about this, I know my car was in a wreck, drivers side front slammed into a pole or something, and rebuilt.

From what I can see, it doesn't really look like anything was rebuilt, I mean the front looks all good, doesn't look like it was hammered out or welded anywhere visibly noticeable, basically my novice'ish eye doesn't see anything other than some new engine parts that indicates a crash. And by new engine parts I mean the coolant sensors, and throttle cables (The one connected to the tranny too, TPS??)

The transmission slips, and shudders, which probably has something to do with the new (TPS?) cable. I guess if something was wrong with it before, it killed/help kill the transmission.

I know a carfax can show me a detailed history, but 1) I don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of right now. 2) I don't know if it will show what was done or how it was done.

So I ask the experts of these cars, what should I be looking at or for to determine how my car was rebuilt? What would commonly be done by a body shop to fix up what I understand to be a pretty decent to the front LH side? (Enough to set off two airbag sensors and blow the airbags)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
As far as the body check the sub-frame, as for the mechanical on a Ford it is nearly impossible unless you by some miracle have a gate sheet (GM equivalent of a build sheet but almost no cars actually get them).

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
a gate sheet is what exactly? and why do almost no cars get them? most importantly, what exactly does the sub-frame consist of?
The MN-12 platforms are made of the passenger vessel and two sub-frames. If you look under the car, you will see the rear sub-frame (IRS - Independent Rear Suspension) is bolted on with four bolts to the passenger compartment; there is also the front sub-frame (sometimes called K-Member) that supports the engine and front wheel suspensions which is bolted unto the passenger compartment in various locations. AJE makes a tubular k-member (I saw one for sale somewhere here) for our cars that is slightly lighter than the stock, stiffer, and allows much more room for installation of aftermarket headers, larger oil pans, etc.

I'm sure other's have more detailed information, but that's the basics I understand...

As for a gate sheet, I don't have a clue :zdunno: lol

Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Gate sheet is a exact list of what is on the car. I know older GMs got them (called build sheets) and on Fords they are far and few in between but if you find one keep it.

Since you say it was hit up front, jack the car up and look at the frame from the firewall forward. As for mechanical if your cruise works there is nothing else over there to worry about (beside suspension alignment, but that's out of your hands).

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my hood doesn't close properly, I'll drop it and it will bounce back up to its "popped" position. not sure if it means anything, but I will be taking a look at that stuff as soon as I can get it up on a ramp.

·
Registered
917 Posts
my hood doesn't close properly, I'll drop it and it will bounce back up to its "popped" position. not sure if it means anything, but I will be taking a look at that stuff as soon as I can get it up on a ramp.
"SHOW ME THE CARFAX!"

these hoods need to be closed HARD. if you try to shut it with a little force and it still doesn't work check the hood latch bolts for signs of movement. if so, loosen and realign, if not i'd be glad to take the car off your hands :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
look for big nasty plier type claw marks on the seam under the rocker panel where you jack the car. That's a sure sign it's been on "the rack" to be straightened.

I knew my car had been wrecked when I bought it. The front core support from the drivers side to the passenger door was replaced. They did decent work, & the car has treated me well for 7 years. Plus I got a good deal.

·
Registered
917 Posts
if your car's been on the rack good luck with alignment. cars that are stretched are never the same again most of the time

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"SHOW ME THE CARFAX!"

these hoods need to be closed HARD. if you try to shut it with a little force and it still doesn't work check the hood latch bolts for signs of movement. if so, loosen and realign, if not i'd be glad to take the car off your hands :D
my 96 doesn't have that problem, I can just drop the hood and it closes perfect every time. my 97 DD sometimes takes me 4 or 5 tries to get the hood closed.
I find that if I close it with my hand above the latch area, it will close better, I basically have to push it and prevent the bounce back.

look for big nasty plier type claw marks on the seam under the rocker panel where you jack the car. That's a sure sign it's been on "the rack" to be straightened.

I knew my car had been wrecked when I bought it. The front core support from the drivers side to the passenger door was replaced. They did decent work, & the car has treated me well for 7 years. Plus I got a good deal.
I don't think it's been racked, but on both of my cars, just behind the front wheels where the mud flaps are, just ahead of the door, it looks dented, on BOTH cars, like someone has gone over a curb that was too high and the front wheels fell off the curb and the body slammed into it...... does that make sense??

no claw marks or anything looking like it's been grabbed, just like it fell from a high curb.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I don't think it's been racked, but on both of my cars, just behind the front wheels where the mud flaps are, just ahead of the door, it looks dented, on BOTH cars, like someone has gone over a curb that was too high and the front wheels fell off the curb and the body slammed into it...... does that make sense??

no claw marks or anything looking like it's been grabbed, just like it fell from a high curb.
From a jack, maybe? Or bad placement on a lift?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From a jack, maybe? Or bad placement on a lift?
entirely possible, I would guess if it's one of those things, it would be bad placement on a lift.

mudflaps?
ya, both of my cars have them, except my 96 parts car it looks like they were (poorly) added on later, and just screwed in with some random metal screws in random places.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts