TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to siphon fuel? My fuel pump called it quits with close to a full tank. I will be replacing the pump by myself so I need to get as much fuel out as I can.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
Yes. Shove a long clear hose down into the filler neck, and start sucking on the other end. Once the fuel starts flowing, preferably before it hits your mouth, put the end of the hose in a gas can and keep the gas can on the ground. As long as the outlet of the hose is below the tank, gravity will keep it flowing out, and the higher the car is and the lower the outlet is, the faster it will flow.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. Shove a long clear hose down into the filler neck, and start sucking on the other end. Once the fuel starts flowing, preferably before it hits your mouth, put the end of the hose in a gas can and keep the gas can on the ground. As long as the outlet of the hose is below the tank, gravity will keep it flowing out, and the higher the car is and the lower the outlet is, the faster it will flow.
I had a 92 a few years ago and I could not for the life of me get a hose down the fill neck. I thought maybe our cars had a block of some sort to prevent siphoning.

S4gunn, I've got that Harbor Freight transfer pump so I will give it a go.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On my 97 I could not get a tube in from above. Thought I would D/C the fuel filter , run the line into a fuel can and energise the fuel pump...but if your pump is out, I wonder if gravity feed through the filter would work?

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
There's a wire coil in the fill line that won't pass a water hose; it will pass a 3/8" line tho. :)

BTDT.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Grog6. I'll give it a try tomorrow. It has been too rainy here to think about any work under the car anyway. For those who still think about siphoning by mouth, I once made a video for a Med school on all the bad things that can result...It is not recommended. KF4sign

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,262 Posts
In order to siphon without sucking, make sure your siphon hose is long enough,
(approx. twice the leignth you think you need.
Shove it all the way in to the filler cap.
Thumb over the end of the hose.
Pull out, thumb off, to start some flow.
Thumb on, stove back in.
Repeat as quickly as possible until fuel flows freely.
Works best when the fuel cam is below the level of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried to siphon the tank today but the hose is stopping before it enters the tank. I thought maybe it was the hose that came with the Harbor Freight pump mentioned above by S4gunn was too big so I had a 6' or there about piece of 1/4" clear tubing.

No matter how much I twist or push the 1/4" tubing, it is not making it into the tank. It's going down the filler neck between 2-3 feet tops.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I tried to siphon the tank today but the hose is stopping before it enters the tank. I thought maybe it was the hose that came with the Harbor Freight pump mentioned above by S4gunn was too big so I had a 6' or there about piece of 1/4" clear tubing.

No matter how much I twist or push the 1/4" tubing, it is not making it into the tank. It's going down the filler neck between 2-3 feet tops.
There may be some sort of restrictor in there. What you can try is putting a semi rigid wire in the syphon tube (something like a single romex conductor or ground wire) and that may help get it thru the hole. Then you pull out the inner wire.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts

There's a spring-looking thing in there; mine may be bent or something, to make the opening larger...

It wouldn't pass a garden hose, but I used a 3/8" piece of vacuum line, and was able to drain the rest of the tank.

Taking the fill hose loose at the tank is messy if it's full. It will drain a few gallons, iirc. I won't do that again. :)

Putting a 2x12 about 3 feet long on a floor jack will let you drop a full fuel tank, if you have to. It actually comes out a bit easier with some weight to it, imho.

Take the filler loose at the top, and let it drop with the tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts