TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've noticed a weird-ish sort of problem with my T-bird.

Now, keep in mind that I did run an hour after the TV-cable bushing broke, although a fluid/filter change and new bushing later, it seems not to have suffered any ill effects.

However, I only got to drive it pre-bushing-breakage for a day, so I didn't have a lot to go on.

Anyway, it seems that my 1-2 upshift tends to be a little weird, but the problems I get almost always happen immediately after making a right turn from a stop or near-stop.

Particularly when cold, the trans will sometimes seem to forget it has a 2nd gear, and go right from 1 to 3. This is without really pushing it much at all. Once when I suspected it of doing this, when it seemed to be holding 1st too long, I let off on the gas, to kinda trick it into 2nd. When I gently pushed the gas again, the car revved slightly in neutral, then dropped to 2nd, then almost immediately to third.

Other times, it'll seem lazy about upshifting 1-2. This I've noticed after a right turn if I go into the gas a little. Not hard, mind you, but say maybe 1/4 throttle. At those times, it seems to take a while to finish shifting, and sometimes I can feel that it's doing something akin to "riding the clutch" on a manual trans for about 2 seconds or so. It actually becomes hard to tell when it fully engages 2nd at that point.

I've only noticed this at two particular intersections, but it's happened several times. Sometimes, though, the problematic symptoms simply don't happen at all.

All other upshifts, and all downshifts, seem normal. I *might* have the TV cable set one or two clicks too tight (guessing by the 3-4 upshift time at a feather-light throttle), but otherwise everything appears to be just fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I do recall also once reading something that made a passing mention of the AOD "forgetting that it has a 2nd gear" . . but nothing was really explained about it. I'm just looking for more information really.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Check your fluid level. My AOD will slip out of gear when it's cold out and I sit on a hill at a light. I'll bet that when you make the right turn, it's sloshing the fluid away from the pickup and gets some air, and slips. Just my .02.

Remember, check the fluid while fully hot on a level surface.

Jay

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
could be sticky valves as well. definately check the fluid, and if all else fails, replace the unit. AOD's are a dime a dozen. u can get good used ones for about $100.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A very belated thanks, by the way.

I added a quart of fluid, it seems to have minimized the symptoms greatly.

It never "forgets" to use 2nd gear anymore.

On occasion, with semi-hard throttle, on one of those right turns, from a stop, it'll be a little bit lazy about the 1-2 upshift. Lighter throttle and the shift is pretty quick. Haven't tried wide-open yet.

Checking the fluid level is a pain though because of the incorrect dipstick markings. I've gone a bit past the D on "Do Not...." but I wonder if I'm still a little low?

Would I notice any strange symptoms if I went a little too high on the tranny fluid level?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Overfilling will cause it to burp out the excess through a vent in the case if I recall. I've always been told that overfilling is as bad as underfilling, but don't really know why.

Jay

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
FordMan77 said:
I've always been told that overfilling is as bad as underfilling, but don't really know why.
If you overfill it, the fluid level will be high enough that the rotating assembly will start churning it into froth. This is why it comes out the case vent on top, it gets slung up there by the moving parts. Aerated fluid (fluid with air bubbles in it) is NOT something you want in any hydraulic assembly, because air defeats the principles of hydraulic action: fluid under pressure does not compress. Air under pressure <i>does</i> compress. If you tried to compress fluid with air in it, it would become partially compressible, think of an air pocket in your valve body...or brake line, or power steering, or pretty much anything where fluid power is used to transmit force. Part of the available energy is wasted compressing the air.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
One thing you can do with the AOD to help is to install a pan and filter from a mid 80s f150 with an AOD. They had a deep pan and matching pickup.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
392Bird said:
One thing you can do with the AOD to help is to install a pan and filter from a mid 80s f150 with an AOD. They had a deep pan and matching pickup.
:zwthstpd:

Also the dealer released a tcb saying to fill those transmissions to the D in Don't

1 - 8 of 8 Posts