TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my tranny out, and want to rebuild it. What is the best rebuilt kit and costs for my AOD? Also I am planning on doing this myself. My AOD is coming out of the 90 t-bird sc.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You can use the OD 101 article to get a decent idea of what should be upgraded, etc. Most things carry over from one trans to the other. No matter what get the mechanical diode upgrade, you wont believe how flimsy the 7 roller one-way is until you see it. A lot of the other stuff is overkill for a stock rebuild, but the more power you intend to make, the more it becomes necessary. get the kit from makco (SP?) for the better retainer for the Mech diode too. 3 spiral locks, its about $12. Also make sure you get the 2.7" OD servo if that trans doesnt have one already. Note: the valve body modifications don't apply to the AOD.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
you might think about getting a nice torque converter from lentech or art carr along with a stronger input shaft. Also, you may want to consider getting a lentech street terminator valve body. Those things are sweet. It doesn't take much to make an AOD strong, especially since it's out of an sc.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Check out my page www.mn12racing.com and click mod's and scroll down to
Thunderbird Modifications..
There you'll find what I did to my AOD, part#, cost and so on..
If you click on the parts you'll get a complete list from Art Carr...
Changing to 4R70W gears really helped the launch...
Now I chirp the tires in 1st 2nd and 3rd...
The guy that installed everything in the tranny was impressed
by the quality...

//Thyg0d

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I guess you can get into spending alot of cash. Thats my problem, I don't want to spend more the 400 on the AOD. Is there something I can do for around that price.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
The Lentech Street Terminator Valve Body just so happens to be $399 :D:D

Check It

-Thomas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts