TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5.0s tranny is toast (clutches anyway) how big of a deal is it to put a 4R in?

Think of using a 94/95 Mustang (Cobra if they came auto) then just need the shifter. About how much would this cost, the 5.0 is stock?

·
Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
One cost to keep in mind is the controller.

You'll either need something like the Baumenator (?sp) (a stand-alone 4R70W controller) or replace the current ECM with one that does the 5.0 AND a 4R70W and add the wiring to the tranny.

Before you spent much time here, check out the tranny subforums. Also do a search - it's been covered a few times.

My PERSONAL recommendation is another AOD, but that's because the extra cost of the controller warts me some. That, and finding a SBF bell pattern 4R70W (not impossible), and getting a new driveshaft to fit (won't fit your current driveshaft) - again, not impossible - I can get a new aluminum one made for around $300 in town.

RwP

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mustang was still 5.0 in 94/95, plus there is the F-150.

I'll do a search for more info, but looks like just going to be a rebuild. Forgot about the DS.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
If you have a 94/95 Mustang GT auto ECM, then the swap is very easy. Just use a 4R70W out of a 99+ V6 mustang, a driveshaft for a 94-97 V6 tbird, and then you just need to run the wiring from the ECM connector down to the trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts