TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, don't post much but read all the threads. I am putting a Baumann Engineering kit in my early AOD. Got it all buttoned up, torquing everything etc. With truck on stands ran it through the gears or I should say gear. It changes into second but at alot higher rpm than it should but 3rd and 4th won't at all. There is a spring on the shaft that supports the gear selector and the tv actuator and I don't think it is hooked wear it is supposed to be. The long tang of the spring is against the transmission housing. Is this right? If not wear does it go? if that is'nt it I'll pull the valve body back down and go through it step bt step again. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Clint

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
what car are you installing this in?

Two things come to mind quickly:

Make sure the TV cable (or rod if its really old) is properly adjusted, as per the tech articles.
Check to see that the manual lever engages the last detent of the manual valve in the valve body... this has to be right when the VB is installed, otherwise its gotta be dropped again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, this is in my 71 F100. It's been in and running for several months I just wanted a snappier 2nd. I did'nt change anything on the TV cable settings except updating the spring. When I put the valve body back in I'll double check what you mentioned. When I pulled it back out and looked at the gaskets I could tell the some of the impressions were not as deep as others. So when I go back I will buy a better quality torque wrench instead of the $20 Advance auto one. Maybe I was getting bleed over.
Sure hope I have'nt fried this thing
Clint

·
Registered
659 Posts
the long tang of the spring is supposed to sit in the groove in the seperator plate.
sorry i don't have a picture to show you. There should be a small v shaped groove in the seperator plate, it is supposed to sit in there.

Mike

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
check my article in the WIP forum... youll see a picture of how the detents should be with the manual valve... its in the middle somewhere.

if you drop the VB again, i'd recommend replacing the gasket, just to be on the safe side... they arent supposed to be reusable. Theyre also rather cheap. use the pattern in my article and go over it 3 times. maybe the 3rd time is overkill, but its definitely reassuring that theyre right on.

See if this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The gaskets on both sides of the separator plate aren't meant to be reused. The torque spec on the 90in-lb which you probally already know(also start from center tighten out). The 2-3 accumulator can wear its bore and no longer seal. I bet it is something other that that but its part # F7AZ-7H292-AB newer rubber impregnated style. It helped me to have someone else look at what I was doing to see the obvious.
I just finished installing an Trans-go shift kit in my AOD. I left out all the springs they suggested for moderate shifting and drilled regular set of holes. The change in shifting wouldn't stand out if I weren't familar with its old slow and early to shift style. My transmission has to be happier the fluid was straight black. Nothing wanted to move easily in valve body and the gaskets had to be scraped off in little pieces.

Paul

·
Registered
659 Posts
you should not have to drop v/b to hook spring into v in edge of seperator plate.
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts