TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok what kind of shift kit do yall recommend for a 93 AOD? I've seen the J-mod. That is for later year electronic tranny's. What works great in an AOD? What is the least expensive and still keep the tranny in good shape?

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, an AOD can be J-Modded... I'll be doing it very soon... I figure what better time while I already have the motor out? :D

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
LiquidCougar said:
To the best of my knowledge, an AOD can be J-Modded
good luck finding jmod parts for an AOD. the jmod cant be done to an AOD. i have the transgo and i love it. B&M works too. check ebay for transgo kits. summit racing has them too.

i see that you are in rosenberg. im from missouri city, but im in lubbock now.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
i don't think that you can do the j-mod on the aod cause its a whole different valve body, well its just a whole different transmission.
Had the trans go and didn't like, i've heard from many people that the baumann kit is good

you can always save your money and get yourself a manual valvebody from PA, goes for about $300 but i'd highly recommend that if performance is the future of your ride

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Echh.. forget it.

I'll leave it as is... wait until I can figure something else out. I've heard good things and bad things about all those shift kits, but the bad things were all too horrendous for me to even consider them.

Not to hijack the thread, but are there any other transmissions that will bolt up to the 3.8 SC?

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
other than the aod and m5r2? there's the 3.8 4r70w from the 94-95s, don't know if the sc 4r70w's are the same as the base 3.8s but probably are

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking I might pull an 4R70W from a bone yard, beef it up and swap it out with the AOD if it's a mostly seamless install.

The one that's in there is freshly rebuilt, and I'm pretty sure that's a PI torque converter in there (http://members.tccoa.com/liquidcougar/PIC00012.jpg) so I'll probably keep it for a while the way it is. Is there any way to tell where the stall is set at by looking at it? Or is it something I'd have to feel for while driving?

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i have the baumann kit in mine. me and rodeo joe installed it in a couple of hours, and i have had no problems yet. i love the difference it makes, and i cannot wait to get my 3.73's in by the end of next week. will compliment the kit greatly, and then maybe i can get mark mccormack to adjust my tv cable properly;) .

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
It looks to me that there is a lot of FUD going on in this thread and nobody is making the effort to put out the opinions in correlation to their proper parts.

From what I know firsthand and what seems to be the popular opinion here, here are some opinions/facts:

AOD (T-Bird 89-93): Trans-Go, Baumann, B&M, etc.

If you have an AOD then the Trans-Go is supposed to be the way to go at the entry level with a new manual valve body apparently being the next option but more expensive. I listed the B&M because it does have some people that are not against it on the AOD.

4R70W (T-Bird 94-97): J-Mod

Apparently the J-Mod is the only real mod worth doing on the 4R70W. I have heard nothing but bad things about ANY of the shift kits. I would assume a new valve body would be an option but I don't own a 4R70W so I really don't have any reason to pursue that.

I believe that SilverBird95 would be a good point of reference just because I remember his nickname. There are tons of others on here that seem to know this stuff very well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts