TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please post the Ford part numbers or point me to where the info is. Also, could I just take first and second from the 4R70W and leave the AOD 3rd and OD? Is there any advantage to the 4R70W gears strength wise if they are interchangeable? Thanks

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
From what I've learned it shouldn't be any problems using any 4r70w planetary
gears in your AOD...

Art Carr sells them brand new for $599 (if you ask 'em nicely you can get a 10% discount..) Probably not the cheapest place but....

Why wouldn't you want to use the complete 4r70w gears??
The third gear is the same as the AOD one and the 4th on the
4r70w has a .67 ratio and the AOD .70..
That's not much of a difference...
You'll actually save a tiny bit fuel on that....

Unfortunately I haven't got the partnumber, right now anyway...
When I get home in 9 hours I'll post the part# Art Carr uses...

//Thyg0d

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
just use the AOD wide ratio Motorsport setup.. PN M-7398-D

joseph

·
Registered
659 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
just use the AOD wide ratio Motorsport setup.. PN M-7398-D

joseph
ummmm, the AOD wide ratio setup is a gearset for a 4r70w...dude
its usually cheaper to find a good tranny core and take the gears out of it than to buy the gearset seperately

Mike

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
dugweed said:

ummmm, the AOD wide ratio setup is a gearset for a 4r70w...dude
its usually cheaper to find a good tranny core and take the gears out of it than to buy the gearset seperately

Mike
it was just a suggestion.....always have multiple options.

joseph

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys

Actually, the AOD is supposed to have the .67 OD. That is why I want to reuse 3rd and OD. Save money and get a better OD. This is from the tech page.

4R70W ratios are: (1st) 2.84, (2nd) 1.55, (3rd) 1.00, (OD) .7
AODE ratios are: (1st) 2.40, (2nd) 1.40, (3rd) 1.00, (OD) .67

MN12 Performance,
Are those new? Would you go lower? What part of the States are you in? Thank you. I will email you as well as I am in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The difference in OD ratio wouldnt be noticeable at all... .03 is very small. Auto tranny gearsets are a lot different than the manual gearbox type... I think you're confusing the two. I don't even know if you could swap just one ratio - I didn't think so.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Silver,
They are interchangeable from the 4R70W to the AOD/AODE to allow for a deeper first/2nd gear. All I wanted to know if the complete set needed to be changed. I just need MN12 to reply.

Dude, I'm in a hurry. Get back to me please. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MN12 Performance,
Are flexible on the price? What kind of shape are they in? What part of the States are you in? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Flex said:
Silver,
They are interchangeable from the 4R70W to the AOD/AODE to allow for a deeper first/2nd gear. All I wanted to know if the complete set needed to be changed. I just need MN12 to reply.

Dude, I'm in a hurry. Get back to me please. Thanks.
I know the gearsets interachange, but I dont think you can do a partial swap. you either swap the gears or you dont. You were asking about swapping 1st and second without changing OD... I think you're just in a hurry and didn't read things the way i meant them.. no biggie

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
i had a AOD with the Wide ratio kit you can get it the Ford catalog.. It worked pretty damn good, and kept my engine in the power band alot better then the stokc gearing...
I also have a friend install 4r70W gears into his AOD.. There was some machining, Filing, ect that was needed... (but his tranny was far from a `stock rebuild', like extra clutches, ect... )

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm selling everything inside and out but if you only need the Wide ratio kit it will be much cheaper to ship as the entire trans weights over 70lbs. The Wide ratio parts weigh half that.

If installing the parts in a AOD I would go with a new mechanical reverse drum and the wide ratio parts. You won't be using the 4R70W torque converter or the case or the valve body in any AOD.

I have a transmission shop just up the street from me who will take it but I wanted to offer it up to a AOD owner who is looking to get the wide ratio parts from the trans first.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I've got a "bullet proof" AOD parts list from Art Carr Perf. if anyone wants it posted. Prices probably aren't current, but the parts are there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does the output shaft needs to be changed when doing the wide ratio swap?
I remember reading something about having to use a 1993 Mark 8 transmission output shaft in the Transmisions 101 article due to some extra hardening required for the 4R70W gear set.
Art M.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok I found it, its under building a bullet proof 4R70W, on the AOD only paragraph.
Here is the link

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page7.shtml

What i don´t know, and hence my question is if it needs to be done when swaping the gear set or only reccomended if you want to bullet proof the tranny. Also I wonder if there is any way to identify this particular shaft or if you can just get one from a dealer.
Art M.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts