TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 tbird sport 5.0

My stock AOD overdrive let go so I am looking forward to a transmission swap and saw that the 4R70w could be a good transmission to swap to.
I have found for sale near me and was wondering what I would need to do the swap, i know alot of people say to swap the internals and keep the AOD but what would I need to simply swap the transmissions without needing a rebuild? Would the 4R70w fit in the spot of the AOD or would i need to modify anything? And is it the same length? It came out of a 2wd F-150. Would i need any computer parts or anything? It would probably be available with the purchase as the guy selling it swapped his engine and transmission. Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
8,298 Posts
The 4r70 is a computer controlled trans, and the AOD is all mechanical, so to convert over, you will have to add the wiring, and a computer capable of controlling it. If the trans is from an F150, make sure it was a 4.2V6. The 4.6/5.4 has a different bell housing, and won’t bolt up to a 5.0. For the ECM, the easiest and cheapest way would be to get one from a 94/95 Mustang 5.0/auto to control the engine and trans. You will have to add the wiring for the transmission controls, and you will have to swap out several solenoids inside the trans to the 94/95 Mustang ones. Alternatively, you could leave your ECM alone and get a stand-alone transmission controller, but either way, you need something to control the 4r70 transmission.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
What MadMikeyL said.

I'm going the 94/95 ECU route myself, with a Mustang V6 transmission, to pick up programmability.

Driveshaft is different; see FYI: Driveshaft lengths | TCCoA Forums . I THINK yours will fit and work, but won't swear to it.

RwP

Reactions: supergordo
1 - 3 of 3 Posts