TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a good lead on a nice, clean '93 5.0 HO for cheap. Guys put a decent amount into it and is sick of it. So that's my que.

He recently had the trans replaced. He has however, noticed that it won't shift "like he wants it to". It shifts late is what it comes down to. Requiring it be floored for down shift.

Cruises at high speeds smoothly.

Obviously the first thing I thought of is the TV cable needs adjusting. Easy fix.
But the he mentioned that the shop told him they had to shorten his driveshaft by 5cm.

Qustion:

Which transmission would fit, perform as described (not the most important part), and be aprox. 5cm longer?

I thought AODE's etc. didn't have place for the TV etc.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
7,567 Posts
I think an AOD from a lincoln town car had a slightly longer output shaft, which would result in the driveshaft needing to be shortened. I know this is the case with the newer lincolns with the AODE/4R70 in them, and I think that happened with the AODs too, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I think trucks and some cars like mentioned had a 1 inch longer tailshaft. Why that would require 2 inches shorter driveshaft I don't know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But either way it has to be an OAD that's in it right? Some others may mount up but wouldn't function right?

Does a shortened driveshaft compromise the drivetrain?

·
Super Moderator
7,567 Posts
Well theoretically it could be any one of a number of trannies. AOD is the only one that is a 4-speed auto that isn't computer controlled. If the car only has 3 gears now, then that would mean it could be a C4, C6, FMX, or probably some others too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts