TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a concern about my AOD.

When I accellerate from a stop at medium to heavy accelleration, my tranny whines until about 2400 rpm and then stops. Sometimes not at all, and sometimes it is really noticeable over my radio.

I can normally hear the gear shifts as it whines.

Note: The tranny fluid level in the unit is completely full.

At slow speeds (up to 10mph) I can hear the tranny, but's it's not a high whine, rather a low sound (like the gears turning).

I know some transmissions are loud, but is this normal? Has anybody else experienced this before?

Could it be my rearend?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the power steering pump even if I can hear the gear changes? :confused:

Let's go with that for a minute: When I first start the car and turn the wheel, it's as if I don't have power steering. Then, after I get going a bit or it warms up, it works just fine.

And when I need to get around a car and have to crank the wheel fast, it feels a little tight and then doesn't want to return to center.

I'm not sure if the noise is related to my PS pump, but it bugs me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yea i dont think its your tranny, i think its your power steering, try turning the wheel all the way for a few seconds and see if anything sprays out of the lines

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think anything is spraying out of the lines, as I check my fluids regularly and it's always full.

Should I replace the PS Pump? How much would that cost?

·
Registered
180 Posts
About $55 at advance auto and they have the tool to remove and replace the pulley. Just be sure that is the problem before you replace it because it is a minor pain to do. Have a friend move the steering back and forth while you listen under the hood .......................Dan

·
Registered
178 Posts
Also while you listen for the whine rev the engine slightly like to 1500 or 2000 like it would driving it. If you don't hear the whine then it could be gears in the trans. My '93 5.0 mustang w/ AOD whines in 1st and 2nd but not 3rd and 4th. The whine increases with engine RPM and then is gone at 1-2 shift then the whine increases again untill 3rd and no more whine. The 1 and 2 gears whine in my trans. It doesn't get worse or anything its just there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey cman,
Sounds like your cat and mine have the same symptoms. Your description is right on with what my Cougar's been doing.

Mine's been doing that for a year or so (maybe as long as I've owned it). It comes and goes.

How long has yours been doing that?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
These cars do whine a bit, especially in first gear. Try manual 1 when it's very quiet out. The PS thing you should be able to reproduce sitting still and turning the steering wheel... you'll figure out which it is.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My cougar has never whined. Just the 'stang. Even before the trans rebuild I have never had a whine from my trans. Wait... the only whine I have "ever" heard and it had always done it it if I leave it in 1st and decelerate after whinding it out a little.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts