TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission is a 1998 4R70W,, its in my ranger with a 5.0L and running a baumann TCS..

Here's the prob:
After Changing the Transmission fluid (drain T/C and pan along with new filter and fill it back up with about 12-1/2qts of fluid.. I took it for a drive and now I have no more 3rd gear???? it goes into 1st, 2nd and reverse but no 3rd?? WTF

I can see the TCS controller asking the trans for 3rd via my laptop but it just seems to stay in 2nd and wind out to all hell..

What can I possibly have done during a fluid change?? I've worked on cars my whole life basically and this one has me stumped.

Brad

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cant see how I would or did,, but I guess the pan is coming back off tommorow for inspection.. I'd like to throw a shift kit in it but I dont want to open up more variables now.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone have a pic of the #2 shift solenoid?? I've heard this could be the problem why it stays in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking before I remove the pan that I would have had to only mess up 1 wire?? in the dual solenoid pack?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem,, unlike the TBird my transmission has the solid circuit board type connector.. it was bowed downward right at the solenoid connector and 1 pin was not making contact.

I pushed it back up and it reconnected,,, however because of the bow I felt it was better to replace the board $19 at ford and relieve all doubht.

It shifts perfectly now.

Upon looking back,, the filter is right next to the plugin,, and perhaps it knocked it just a lil. Good thing to watch for when changing fluid on the trans.

Oh well fluid changed twice in 2 days,, its clean now!

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts